Interrobang?! General quiz finals by IIM Indore quiz club
IIM Indore Quiz Club Presents Interrobang?! A quiz on anythingRules: and everything!1. Teams of up to 3 members2. Bring a pen.3. No prior registration Details: required. Date - 27th Aug By Abhishek Upadhya Anup Jha Rameen Khan Abhishek Pai Abhimanyu Malhotra
RULES Teams of up to 3 members. Use of mobile phones, and any other Internet connectivity devices during the duration of this quiz, is strictly discouraged, at risk of disqualification. So is collaborative efforts with people not belonging to your team. Top 6 teams qualify for the finals. Write your names and team names on the answer sheet. Starred questions will be used to arbitrate ties (more stars win): no. 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30. Mentioned on the slides. Please mark them on the answer sheet. Quizmasters’ decisions are final.
QUESTIONS – CITATION DISCLAIMER Most questions are ours. Some are not. Those that are not - have been ( to the best of our knowledge), reproduced with permission. Prominent sources include KQA quizzes ( Thejaswi Udupa, Kaustubha, Navin) and RV Quizcorp quizzes ( Sneha, Soda et al ). These questions have been used for the purposes of an inhouse quiz only. In case your question has figured in our quiz, we sincerely thank you for your help. We definitely loved the idea/framing/funda behind it.
CLOCKWISE - INFINITE POUNCE +10 for correct answer ( on Direct and Pass). No Negatives. Infinite Bounce – If you answer a question, the next direct goes to the team sitting next to you. If no one answers, the next question goes to the next team. 15 questions. Pounce – Gives you a chance to score off an *easy* question, even if it is not your direct. Register your pounce during the pounce interval before the question is made open to all. You get +15/-10. Show the answer in writing. Wrong/No answer gives you negatives. 3 Pounces allowed per team. Use them wisely
1. Nikola Tesla propounded the theory that the humansoul was formed of electricity and claimed that hecould prove it mathematically. He formed this theoryafter discussions with an Indian whose knowledge ofelectricity astonished him. Who was this Indian?
2. This sport is traditionally played on a mat-likesurface that is 2m wide and 14m long. Theinternational governing body for the sport is theFederation Internationale DEscrime which conductsWorld Championships every year except duringOlympic years. Which sport?
4. The earliest record of X comes from a student inpre-World War II in Japan (Asahi Shimbun January31, 2008, 37th page). While some in Asian countriesdid X in the 1990s, these were basic tricks such asthe Thumbaround, FingerPass, Charge, and Sonic. Today, there are more variations and types of tricks,for example the Shadow, the Bak, the Twisted SonicBust etc. Give me X
5. Just before the start of the 1948 Olympics,someone noticed that the Great Britain team did nothave a flag for the march past. A teenage assistantrushed out and found a flag in a commandants car.He broke its window and grabbed the flag. The policewanted to arrest him but an army sergeant restrainedthem. The young man ran for race of his life anddelivered the flag to his team. After few years, the young man grabbed headlineswith a superlative performance. Now, he is in line forthe tag of the greatest British Sportsperson andamongst the race for lighting the 2012 LondonOlympic Flame?
6. The first tied test match in the history of Cricket. Australia v/s West Indies, Brisbane 1960-61
7. The Sanskrit name for this syllable is Pranava, from aroot nu “to shout, sound, praise”, verbal pra-nu- beingattested as “to make a humming or droning sound” inthe Brahmanas, and taking the specific meaning of "toutter the syllable" in the Chandogya Upanishad and theShrauta Sutras. The Mandukya Upanishad is entirelydevoted to the explanation of the syllable. Which syllable are we talking about?
8. This journeyman cricketer came into prominence inthe 1986-87 one-day series against Australia, when ahundred and two fifties in six matches won him theMan of the Series award. Played four tests for India His last match was at Dhaka playing for AbahaniKrira Chakra. Who is the cricketer?
9. Divya Yoga Trust Baba Ramdev’s trust in Haridwar
10. X was the eldest in a family of 16 siblings, amember of the Kirana Gharana and was a disciple ofSawai Gandharva with Y as the co-student. X hasalso given playback for movies like “Basant Bahar”(1956), “Birbal My Brother” (1973) . Y got the Sangeet Natak Akademi award in the year3 years before X . X went on to receive the BharatRatna. Identify X and Y.
11. According to Hindu historians, the Muslim emperorcame down from Ferghana in 1527 and overcame theHindu King of Chittodgad, Rana Sangrama Singh atSikri, using cannons and artillery. After this victory theemperor dominated the subjugated Hindu population.His general, Mir Baqi, was in charge of the region. What historic reason is Mir Baqi famous for?
13. DIVISIONS OF WHAT? Delhi, Haryana, Punjab, Himachal 1 Northern Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir Uttar Pradesh and 2 Northern Uttarakhand Rajasthan and 3 Western Gujarat Chhattisgarh, 4 Western Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh Andhra Pradesh and 5 Southern Karnataka Kerala and Tamil 6 Southern Nadu West Bengal, Orissa 7 Eastern and North Eastern
14. Mirzapur is a city in the heartof North India, nearly 650 kmbetween Delhi and Kolkataand also equidistant fromAllahabad and Varanasi. There are loads of factsabout Mirzapur one being that there is a small clocktower in the center of the city.Claim to fame of this city?
14. Indian Standard Time (IST) is calculated from theclock tower in Mirzapur which is nearly exactly on thereference longitude of Indian Standard Time at 82.5°
15. X came to Mumbai eight years ago from hishometown Lucknow. However, instead of a job insinging, he began receiving work as a lyricist! This multifaceted individual began his writingcareer with the film Aamir and then got fame for DevD. A close friend of X , Y had asked him to write asong for a movie . However, ultimately it was Z whopenned the lyrics, while X sang the sufiana-style songalong with female playback Kavita Seth.X, Y, Z?
SHORT VISUAL CONNECT Posters used by Andy Dufresne to cover up the tunnel in Shawshank Redemption
ANTICLOCKWISE - INFINITE POUNCE +10 for correct answer ( on Direct and Pass). No Negatives. Infinite Bounce – If you answer a question, the next direct goes to the team sitting next to you. If no one answers, the next question goes to the next team. 15 questions. Pounce – Gives you a chance to score off an *easy* question, even if it is not your direct. Register your pounce during the pounce interval before the question is made open to all. You get +15/-10. Show the answer in writing. Wrong/No answer gives you negatives. 3 Pounces allowed per team. Use them wisely
1. Audio. Whose Interview is this? http://soundcloud.com/logik1986/aud-finals1
1. Uncle Pai / Anant Pai, of Tinkle Fame, speakingabout his inspiration to start Amar Chitra Katha
2. Audio. Connect these two songs. Need a specificanswer for full points. No need to identify the band/song titles. http://soundcloud.com/logik1986/aud-finals2-1 http://soundcloud.com/logik1986/aud-finals2-2
2. The songs that lose in the finals of the movie RockOn! Radio - Musafir Shaair + Func - New Day
3. Audio. It is 1994, an Irani joint, two Roorkee mechanicalengineers and a Chennai-based mathematics graduateare dreaming dreams; they sip “chai but are drunk onmusic. After some firm handshakes, a band is born.Mechanics and Mathematics go out the window. They formed a music studio called "Aqua Regia"(chemically speaking, it is three parts hydrochloric acid,one part nitric acid and dissolves gold). The name camefrom their belief that "we have dissolved gold inside us.” The band members are Gopal, Anandh, and Shaleen Listen to the song – Which is the band, and what is thereason behind their name? [ no part points, guess thecomplete answer] http://soundcloud.com/logik1986/aud-finals3
3. The Band Agosh ( of Paisa song fame) derives itsname from the initials of the band members. Anandh, Gopal, Shaleen The title also means “Embrace”
4. Connect – List is not exhaustive Agra Fort (1983) Ajanta Caves (1983) Churches and Convents of Goa (1986) Elephanta Caves (1987) Buddhist Monuments at Sanchi (1989) Champaner-Pavagadh Archaeological Park (2004) Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (formerlyVictoriaTerminus) (2004)
5. Subhash Chandra Bose’s Pseudonyms in exile.
6. This botanical event takes place every 50 years inMizoram .The occurrence of this event brings tens ofmillions of hungry rats . After they devour theoutcome of the event, the rats go on to demolishprecious crops like rice. The last outbreak began in2006 and continued till 2008. What is the event being talked here?
6. The flowering of bamboo Melocanna bacciferra flowers every 50 years
7. The area of present-day X was predominantlymangrove swamp before the late 19th century, largelyinhabited by the Koli fishermen. Spread over an area of 175 hectares, or 0.67square miles (1.7 km2), its current estimatedpopulation is about 1 million. What is X here?
7. Dharavi Dharavi, spread over 557 acres and housing nearlythree lakh people, is no longer Asias largest slum.Mumbai has at least four larger contenders for thedubious distinction, some of them three times the sizeof Dharavi.
8. The literal translation of X is “The River of Kings” X covers the entire span of history in the Kashmirregion from the earliest times to the date of itscomposition. Written in Sanskrit verse by the KashmiriBrahman Y in 1148, that is justifiably considered to bethe best and most authentic work of its kind Identify X and the Y.
9. All are NOBEL prize winners for economics Edmund Phelps 2006 Roger Myerson 2007 Paul Krugman 2008 Elinor Ostrom 2009 Christopher Pissarides 2010
10. It has been claimed that Fred Flintstone’s famous“Yabba Dabba Doo” was derived from probably thefirst jingle made for X, when Alan Reed, the actorwho first voiced the character, didn’t like the simple“Yahoo” in the script.X’s popularity with RAF pilots in WW2 led to theirnickname, The X Boys. This is the title of the1998film about downed pilots interned in the Republic ofIreland. The model in RAF uniform who advertisedthe product during WW2 was said to have looked likea “guttered candle” because he used so much of it.X?
11. Ananyaaschinthayantho mam ye janahparyupaasathe Theshamnithyaabhiyukthanam…………..” The missing part of this verse from the Gita is themotto of an Indian company. Name the motto and the company.
11. Yogakshemam Vahamyaham Life Insurance Corporation of India
12. Officially known as the KdF-Wagen (Kraft durchFreude-Wagen), it had a lot of nicknames in variouslanguages like Kafer, Coccinelle, Vocho, Fusca,Escarabajo, Escarabat, Poncho, Jia ke Chong, Bubaetc. How do we know this better?
13. X was first granted permission to start operations inIndia by the Foreign Investment Promotion Board inApril ’07. In exchange, the US Government allowedthe import of mangoes from India after a gap of 18years. Mangoes for what?
14. Founded in 1931 as the Huafu Pen Factory, it wasrenamed in 1966 to the current name, The ShanghaiX Company. Some of its brands of pens include X, Doctor, WingSung, Lucky, Huafu, Xinming, Guanleming, Xinhua,and Gentleman. The design of some of its pens suchas X 100 resembles that of Parker 51. X?
15. The common name for this species of rabbits isLower Keys Marsh Rabbit. It is an endangeredsubspecies of Marsh Rabbit named after a veryfamous “publisher” X of the United States of America.Identify X.
15. Playboy / Hugh HefnerSylvilagus palustris hefneri common nameLower Keys Marsh Rabbit, is an endangeredsubspecies of Marsh Rabbit named after Playboyfounder Hugh HefnerOld Quizzing Rule : “When you’re clueless, and have to guess, guess Playboy”
SHORT VISUAL CONNECT - +25 / -15 Three images all connect to something.
SHORT VISUAL CONNECT Pepsis Change the Game ad, feature these as examples. Billy Bowden - Tedi Ungli - Ghee Harbhajan Singh - Metal Horn m/ . Doosra Kevin Pieterson – Watermelon. Palti Hit. Shakib Al Hasan - Hopscotch. This ad was only aired inBangaldesh. 2nd image – Pallu shot, Dilshan 3rd image – Dhoni ad with the wheel/helicopter
THANK YOU Hope you enjoyed the quiz, Do attend our events in the future. We thank our sponsors - us.