DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF EMBEDDED MONITOR SYSTEM FOR DETECTION OF A PATIENT’S BREATH BY DOUBLE WEBCAMS
26/03/2012 Seminar on “DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF EMBEDDEDMONITOR SYSTEM FOR DETECTION OF A PATIENT’S BREATH BY DOUBLE WEBCAMS” by ABHISHEK SOMAYAJI 1AP08IS002 8th semester Department of Information Science and Engineering APS College Of Engineering
Agenda• Introduction Methods• Operation of the system Temporal differencing algorithm Breath monitor flowchart Implementation results Software interface of EMSBD• Different cases• Advantage and disadvantage• Conclusion• References
Introduction• Traditional way of monitoring a patient’s breath rate requires contact with the body by tying a device to it.• For ex, Impedance Pneumography Respiratory inductive Plethysmography • Design detects chest expansion and contraction in a way that is similar to the detection of a moving object by image processing. Methods Temporal Differencing Background Subtraction Optical Flow
• Integration of embedded board with web cam.• Uses kernel of ARM 11• Processing speed is 667 MHz• 3D graphics accelerator helps to process images easily.• Operating system for coding is linux.• C-code program
Software Interface of EMSBD• Indicators show the direction of movements on LCD display.• Image data consists of 4 parameter Direction – up or down. Transition . Number of breaths. Breath rate.
• Three transitions is equal to one complete breath cycle.• Relationship between parameters is shown by (1) and (2).
Breath displacement diagrams• Demonstrates both chest expansion and contraction.• Horizontal axis is time.• Vertical axis is distance.• Normal man’s respiratory rate 16 to 20 per minute.• Women 18 to 22 per minute.• Newborn 40 to 44 per minute.
• Case 1: Recording time 60 secs 19 full breaths. Normal case
• Case 2: Recording time is 60 secs. 10 full breaths Slow rate but still not harmfull
• Case 3: Recording time is 60 secs. 8 full breaths Two breathing stops of 10 secs. Abnormal.
• Sleeping breath rate from 11:00 PM to 7:00 AM.• Horizontal axis- time in minutes.• Vertical axis- breath rate• 480 pieces of information.• Syndrome when there is continuous 5 secs and 10 secs breathing stops.• If continues for more than 10 seconds it will be dangerous.
Advantage & Disadvantage• Advantage Avoids Inconvenience of any contact with the body. Alarm system is very helpful. A warning message is sent to the hospital by means of the network interface board. Protect the patient’s privacy.• Disadvantage It is unable to discover the outline of the moving object completely. Very sensitive to changes in the environment.
Conclusion• Avoids inconvenience of any contact with the body.• Alarm system is very helpful.• Also monitor micro-vibration.
References•  Chunhui Zhao, Wei Liu, Yi Wang, Yongmei Cheng and Hongcai Zhang Language and Image Processing - ICALIP, pp. 143-146, 7-9 July, 2008.•  Yongseok Yoo and Tae-Suh Park, Proceedings of the 2008 IEEE International• Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition Workshops CVPR, pp. 1-8, 23-29 June, 2008.•  Dong Wang, Hong Zhu , Qin Li , Yong Chu and Ruirui Ji, Proceedings of the 2006 IEEE International Conference on Information Acquisition, pp. 332-336, 20-23 Aug, 2006.