MAIN TOPICS NREGA PARTICIPATI-INTRODUCTIO MANAGEMEN ON IN N T OF NREGA NREGA LETS MOVE TOWARD THESE TOPICS
INTRODUCTION TO‘NREGA’ NATIONAL RURAL EMPLOYMENT GURANTEE ACT (2005)
WHAT IS ‘NREGA’ ? The National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (NREGA) is an Indian job guarantee scheme, enacted by legislation on August 25, 2005. The scheme provides a legal guarantee for one hundred days of employment in every financial year to adult members of any rural household willing to do public work-related unskilled manual work at the statutory minimum wage of 120 (US$2.43) per day in 2009 prices. The Central government outlay for
What are the Unique Features of NREGA? Time bound employment guarantee and wage payment within 15 days Incentive-disincentive structure to the State Governments for providing employment as 90 per cent of the cost for employment provided isDID YOU KNOW ? borne by the Centre or payment of unemployment allowance at their own cost and emphasis on labour intensive works prohibiting the use of contractors and machinery. The Act mandates a 33 per-cent participation for women.
HOW THE POVERTYLEADS TO INTRODUCENREGA ? he India State Hunger Index 2008 by the International Food Policy Research Institute. Per-cent of population living under Punjab has the best nutritional the poverty line, which is 356.35 situation, whereas malnutrition in Madhya rupees or around $7 a month in rural Pradesh is worse than in Ethiopia or Sudan. areas.
WORKING OF NREGA NATIONAL RURAL EMPLOYMENT GURANTEE
TYPES OF WORK UNDER THE SCHEME: Flood control and protection works including drainage in water logged areas Rural connectivity to provide all weather access . Other works notified by the Central/State Government
Water conservation and Water harvesting .Drought proofing(A forestation and tree plantation)Irrigation canals.Provision of irrigation facility to land owned bySC/ST/beneficiaries under Indira Aawas-Yozna .Renovation of traditional water bodies De-silting oftanks .Land development
EMPLOYMENT CARD Gram -Panchayat will issue a Job Card after registration . Job cardcontaining the details of adult members of household such as ;Names ,age ,address and photographs. Registration will be madefor five years and may be renewed from time to time.
PARTICIPATION IN NREGA NATIONAL RURAL EMPLOYMENT GURANTEE ACT (2005)
COST SHARING:» Share your present a Central Government to pay for: wage costs, 75% of material costs, and some administrative costs.» State governments to pay for: 25% of material costs ,other administrative costs, unemployment allowance.
WORKING GROUPS IN PER-? CENT Women: 40% Scheduled Tribes (ST): 36% Scheduled Castes (SC): 26% SC/ST Combined: 62% NATIONAL RURAL EMPLOYMENT GURANTEE ACT (2005)
SHARE OF WOMEN IN NREGA EMPLOYMENT National average: 40% Highest shares: Tamil Nadu 81% . Rajasthan 67% Kerala 66% Andhra Pradesh 55% Lowest shares: Bihar 17% . Uttar Pradesh 17% Himachal Pradesh 12% Jammu & Kashmir 4%