• BBC Three is a television channel that targets audiences ages16–34
year old, and has the purpose of providing "innovative" content to
younger audiences, focusing on new talent and new technologies.
The channel is on-air from 19:00 to around 05:00 each night, in
order to share terrestrial television bandwidth with CBBC.
• The remit of BBC Three is to bring younger audiences to highquality public service broadcasting through a mixed-genre schedule
of innovative UK content featuring new UK talent. The channel
should use the full range of digital platforms to deliver its content
and to build an interactive relationship with its audience.
About BBC Three
• BBC Three is a mixed genre channel for young
• Three key priorities:
• The channel needs to be disciplined about focusing on
the young - its centre of gravity will be 16-34 year-olds:
people who are young in spirit and mindset.
• BBC Three is ‘Never Afraid to Try New Things’ and
that’s why we will continue to innovate with
breakthrough comedy, stand-out entertainment, brave
documentary and intelligent factual formats. Varies in
the types (genres) shown on this channel.
Horror drama’s on BBC Three
Filming begins on The Fades, a new supernatural horror made by BBC
Drama Production for BBC Three by 2011 RTS Award-winning writer, Jack
Thorne (This Is England '86, Skins, The Scouting Book For Boys, Cast
In the flesh- Set after a zombie uprising, treated zombies are rehabilitated
back into society.
Being Human- Being Human is a British supernatural drama television
series. It was created and written by Toby Whithouse for broadcast on BBC
Three. The show blends elements of flatshare comedy and horror drama.
Halloween: Resurrection- a 2002 American horror film and eighth
installment in the Halloween film series. Directed by Rick Rosenthal.
These are all Horror genre Drama’s that have been shown on BBC
Three, this shows that the channel BBC Three targets audiences that like
• Horror is a film genre seeking to elicit a negative emotional
reaction from viewers by playing on the audience's primal
fears. Horror films often feature scenes that startle the viewer;
the macabre and the supernatural are frequent themes. Thus
they may overlap with the fantasy, supernatural, and thriller
• Horror films often deal with the viewer's nightmares, hidden
fears, revulsions and terror of the unknown. Plots within the
horror genre often involve the intrusion of an evil
force, event, or personage, commonly of supernatural
origin, into the everyday world. Prevalent elements include
ghosts, vampires, werewolves, demons, vicious
animals, monsters, zombies, cannibals, and serial killers.
Conversely, movies about the supernatural are not
necessarily always horrific.
• E4 is the entertainment destination for a cutting edge young
• Has eccentric and witty persona and strong branding.
• E4 is on Freeview, DSAT and cable, and E4 HD on Sky increasing
its audience potential big time.
• E4 is a British digital television channel, launched as a pay-TV
companion to Channel 4 on 18 January 2001. The "E" stands for
entertainment, and the channel is mainly aimed at the lucrative 15–
35 age group.
• Focuses on young audiences who enjoy teenage drama’s/series
also with comedy elements.
What’s on E4
• Series such as Misfits, Skins, the
Inbetweeners, and 90210 are shown on
• These are different genres but have the
same target audiences (teens and above).
• Each have a comedy element to them and
are all teenage drama series.
• Demonstrates innovation, experiment and creativity in
the form of programmes;
• Appeals to the tastes and interests of a culturally
• High quality of films intended to be shown on to
general public cinema in the united kingdom.
• Broadcasting and distribution of such contents and
• The making relevant of media content and that
consists of news and current affairs.
• The making of relevant media content that appeals to
the tastes and interests of older children and young
• 90210 is an American teen drama television series shown on E4.
• 90210 appears on a commercial channel called E4 and it starts at
9pm and finishes at 10pm. 90210 could be seen as a soap opera or
a Sitcom But I think it would go under soap opera because it is
based around everyday ‘real life’ situations.
• The target audience for 90210 would be young people. I know this
because the characters in 90210 are in college. I would say that the
programme is for young girls because most of the characters are
female and they play huge roles in the programme. I think people
with interests of gossiping or experience with drama within
friendship would watch this programme and people that maybe have
part-time jobs would most probably watch this show.
• The Inbetweeners is a British sitcom which aired for three series
from 2008 to 2010 on E4.
• The episodes involved situations of school bullying, broken family
life, indifferent school staff and largely failed sexual encounters.
• The show has been nominated for 'Best Situation Comedy.
• The 'inbetweeners' uses different aspects to appeal to its target
audience. The target audience is young people aged 15-25.. It
appeals to its target audience through its' mise en scene' in a variety
of ways such as the language, the school environment and the
typical teenage behaviour.
• Misfits is a British science fiction comedy-drama television
show, about a group of young offenders sentenced to work in a
community service programme, where they obtain supernatural
powers after a strange electrical storm.
• The target audience for Misfits would be a typical teenage to early
adult hood male. This is because the genre of the show is sciencefiction/comedy-drama show, featuring young group of adolescents to
early twenty year old who are doing community service, during this
they develop ‘super natural powers’. This would largely appeal to
young males, rather than middle-aged women, for instance.
• Stereotypically, the demographic of this would be a social class of
people lower to middle class who are young and not many
• ITV has many channels, for example;
-ITV1, ITV2, ITV3, ITV4
• Each show different programmes set for different audiences.
• It is the largest commercial television network in the UK operating a
family of channels including the rebranded ITV.
What’s shown on ITV
• Loose women appears ITV and starts every lunch time at 12.30pm.
Loose women is a chat show for women. You know it’s a chat show
for women because the people involved in this chat show are all
women. And the audience in their set are mostly women. The target
audience for Loose women would be for women in their late 40s
who love discussing issues and solving them.
• Programmes are shown such as;
- The only way is Essex, Soap Opera’s, Loose woman, the news etc.
The Only Way Is Essex
• The only way is Essex is an award-winning reality television
show based in Essex.
• The show is aired on Wednesdays and Sundays at 10pm on
• Part soap opera, part reality show, The Only Way Is Essex
follows the trials and tribulations of a group of real-life Essex
guys and girls.
• The target audience for this show is mainly (stereotypically)
young females. Maybe even housewives as it is a chatty and
reality TV show.