Artificial Intelligence in Power Systems
• Need for AI in Power system
• Artificial Intelligence Techniques
Power Systems and Artificial Intelligence
• An electric power system is a network of electrical
components used to supply, transmit and use electric power.
Power system engineering deals with the generation,
transmission, distribution and utilization of electric power and
other electrical devices.
• Artificial Intelligence is known to be the intelligence exhibited
by machines and software, for example, robots and computer
• The term is generally used to the developing systems equipped
with the intellectual processes and characteristics of humans,
like ability to think, reason, find the meaning, etc.
Need for AI in Power Systems
Power system analysis by conventional techniques becomes
more difficult because of:
(a) Complex, versatile and large amount of information which
is used in calculation, diagnosis and learning.
(b) Increase in the computational time period and accuracy due
to extensive and vast system data handling.
Artificial Intelligence Techniques
Three major families of AI techniques are considered to be
applied in modern power system protection
• Expert System Techniques (XPSs),
• Artificial Neural Networks (ANNs),
• Fuzzy logic systems (FL).
• An expert system obtains the
knowledge of a human expert in
a narrow specified domain into
a machine implementable form.
• Expert systems are computer
programs which have proficieny
and competence in a particular
• They are also called knowledge
based or rule based systems.
Artificial Neural Netwoks
Artificial neural network are
biologically inspired systems
which convert a set of inputs
into a set of outputs by a
network of neurons, where
each neuron produces one
output as a function of input.
Fuzzy logic is the way in
which human brain works, and
we can use this technology in
machines so that they can
perform somewhat like
It provides expressive power
and higher capability to model
• AI techniques can be used to improve the performance of
• Control of power system like voltage control, stability control,
power flow control, load frequency control is possible.
• Load forecasting.
• Fault diagnosis.
• Stability analysis and enhancement.
• Reactive power planning and its control.
• AI techniques are permanent and consistent.
• Processing speed is good.
• Easy to document and reproduce.
• They are fast and robust.
• They are fault tolerant.
• AI techniques are unable to learn or adapt for new problems or
• They have large dimensionality.
• They are not scalable.
• The main feature of power system design and planning is
reliability. Conventional techniques don't fulfill the
probabilistic essence of power systems.This leads to increase
in operating and maintenance costs.Plenty of research is
performed to utilize the current interest on Artificial
Intelligence for power system applications.
• A lot of research is yet to be performed to perceive full
advantages of this upcoming technology for improving the
efficiency of electricity market, investment and particularly
power systems which use renewable energy resources for
• Warwick k, Ekwue A. and Aggarwal R.(ed).Artificial
intelligence techniques in power systems.The institution of
Electrical Engineers, London, 1997.
• International Journal of Engineering Intelligent Systems,The
special issue on AI applications to power system protection,
edited by M.M.Saha and B.Kasztenny, vol.5,No.4,December
• Artificial Intelligence in Power systems by R.Pasupathi Nath,
V.Nishanth Balaji IOSR Journal of Computer Enginering
(IOSR-JCE) E-ISSN:2278-0661, p-ISSN: 2278-8727.