• The book “The Pearl” is by John
• John Steinbeck was born in
Salinas, California on February
• After high school he went to
Stanford University, But left to
become a reporter in New York
• Before his death in 1968 he
lived in New York City.
• Kino and Juana live in the border of
Mexico with their child Coyotito.
• Coyotito gets stung by a scorpion.
• The town goes to the doctor and the
doctor refuses to cure because they are
• Kino finds the pearl of the world.
• Eveybody starts to become greedy and
Kino is diagnosed with monomania.
• Kino and Juana escape the Estuary after
the doctor cures Coyotito.
Setting and Plot
• Somewhere in the border between Mexico
and the Untied States
• Period: 1947
• Kino (Pearl Diver)
• Juana (Kino’s wife)
• Coyotito (Kino and Juana’s son
Butler (Doctor’s Butler)
The pearl buyers
• Greed can take over you
• Be cautious with what you wish for
• Try to be who you are don’t be who you aren’t
• Kingdom: Animalia
Eight legs in total
Easily recognized by the pairs of pedipalps
Narrow segmented tail
Found in all continents except for Antartica
• Pearls are hard products that are held in mollusk
• Made of Calcium Carbonate in minute crystalline
• Perfectly round and smooth
• They are gemstones
• Comes in white, pink, creambrown, green, blue, black, yellow, and rainbow