• Born August 19, 1883
• Was abandoned by her father and sent to her
aunts, where she learned proper manners and
• Loved to sew since childhood.
• Sent to an orphanage owned by nuns at age 17.
• They helped her get her first job as a
• Became a cabaret singer, found her nickname
by one of the songs she sang “Qui qu’a vu
• Met Etienne Balsan a rich playboy. He helped
her open fer first hat shop. Later dumped him.
• Had a relationship with Arthur “Boy” Chapel,
who helped her open her famous dress shop on
31 Rue Combon during the great depression.
• 1921 developed her famous fragrance Chanel
• By 1930’s reputation had grown enormously
• She was hired by Samuel Goldwin to dress
Katherine Hepburn, Grace Kelly, and Elizabeth
Taylor for one million dollars.
• Unfortunately Many Hollywood stars would not
work with her
• Closed down her shop after WWII
• Arrested in September 1944, for an affair
with a Nazi officer.
• Released a few hours later.
• Exiled to Switzerland for 15 years.
• Dior came out with a new look; the corset.
• Angered by it Chanel made a comeback in
• 70 years old at the time.
• Many in Hollywood came to accept her.
• She made a new market in America.
• January 10,1971, Gabrielle Chanel
• Karl Lagergeld helmed the Chanel label
after her death.
• She remains one of the most revered
women in the fashion industry.