Clarify overall statement until all members fully understand Set aside a specific timeframe where each member can write down as many ideas as possible Allow each member of the group to state aloud one idea; no discussion is allowed - not even questions for clarification Agree to disagree, in essence. Any and all changes must be agreed upon by the entire group once the discussion of each has clarified meaning/explanation/logic Prioritize all remaining and agreed upon ideas, again, as a group.
Quality Tools for Quality Analysis
Zachary D. Wilson Jr.
New England College, Fall I, 2015
Nominal Group Technique
○ Role of importance within Quality Management
○ Best use of tool: the ‘When’s’ & ‘ Where’s’
○ Explanation: how to properly implement quality
● Overall Analysis
Nominal Group Technique (NGT)
is a structured method for group
brainstorming that encourages
contributions from everyone.
Importance within Quality Management
Nominal Group Technique (NGT) establishes:
1. Proper Benchmarking Methodologies
1. Sufficient brainstorming abilities
1. A clear and defined Affinity Diagram
Importance Cont’d. & Defined
1. Benchmarking is a structured process for comparing an organization’s
SOPs/WPDs to the best and most similar to that of a different organization;
therefore incorporating both into one clear and efficient policy.
1. Brainstorming abilities are methods for generating a large number of creative
ideas in a short period of time.
1. An affinity diagram helps to organize a large number of ideas into proper
1. When some members are more
vocal than others
2. When there is concern about
3. When all or some members are
new to the team
Any plausible setting(s)
where an issue may
have the potential to be
controversial, or allow
for conflicts to ensue.
When to Use: Where to Use:
Application of NGT
1. Define brainstorming Topic
2. Provide individual-based
3. Voice opinions
4. Discuss noted opinions
5. Set priorities
Try to remember that the overall
discussion is to help provide any
clarifications deemed necessary;
therefore, should be equally
balanced among the group.
5 Steps Considerations
With this technique, it will ensure all possible ideas are brought forth illustrating all
possible ways to go about handling the quality of something. I believe that with this
idea, it can also relate to everyone's choice/method. It can also allow for an equal
balance among the discussion of ideas being mentioned, limiting any possible idea