2. • Define stress and the reasons to stress
• Types of stressors
• Types of stress
• Manifestations of stress
• Methods to manage and cope with stress
• Closing Thought
3. • Stress is the reaction people have to excessive pressures or other
types of demand placed upon them. Its arises when they worry that
they can’t cope.
• S = P > R
• Stress occurs when the pressure is greater than the resource.
What is stress?
6. Internal Stressors
• Lifestyle choices
a. Lack of sleep
b. Overloaded schedule
• Negative self-talk
a. Self criticism
b. Pessimistic thinking
• Mind Traps
a. Unrealistic expectations
b. Taking things personally
d. Rigid thinking
• Personality Traits
7. • Physical Environment
b. Bright Lights
d. Confined Spaces
• Social Interaction
b. Aggressiveness by others
8. • Major Life Events
c. Lost job
e. Marital status change
• Daily Hassles
b. Misplaced keys
c. Mechanical breakdown
External Stressors (cont.)
10. Positive Stress
• Stress can also have a positive effect , spurring motivation and
awareness, providing the stimulation to cope with challenging
• Stress also provides the sense of urgency and alertness needed for
survival when confronting threatening situations.
11. Negative Stress
• It is a contributory factor in minor conditions, such as headaches,
digestive problems, skin complaints, ulcer, etc.
• Excessive, prolonged and unrelieved stress can have a harmful effect
on mental , physical and spiritual health.
13. • Stomach or bowel upset.
• Muscle tension.
• Change in eating habits: lost of
appetite or overeating.
• Decreased ability to concentrate/memory
• Making more mistakes
• Clumsiness; being accident prone
• Increased illness
• More frequent use of cigarettes, alcohol, or
• Withdrawal from usual activities
• Sleep disturbance
19. • A = Awareness
What causes you stress?
How do you react?
• B = Balance
There is a thin line between positive / negative stress
How much can you cope with before it becomes negative?
• C = Control
What can you do to help yourself combat the negative effects of stress?
21. • It is a technique to change the way you look at things in order to
feel better about them.
• Reframing does not change the external reality , but helps you
view things in a different light and less stressfully.
22. Positive Thinking
• Focus on your strengths, look for opportunities, seek out the positive
make a change.
• Learn from the stress you are under.