Yue Chao Qin
An accomplished and dedicated Senior Software Engineer with professional experience in end-to-end
development which includes, but are not limited, to the following: UI/UX, SOA, object oriented design,
real-time systems and database systems.
Summary of Qualifications
• Object oriented design principals and design patterns
• 10+ years experience in developing with Java Enterprise systems
• UI/UX designs, layouts, and look-and-feel experience
• System designing, implementing, and interfacing/integrating end-to-end applications
• Ability to learn new concepts quickly and adapt rapidly changing requirements and priorities
• Lead for technical team and mentoring
Skills Java EE, Spring (Framework, Webflow, Web Services, Rest API, Security),
Bootstrap, JAX-RS, AngularJS, JQuery, HTML5, CSS3, Bower, Gradle, PHP,
Joomla, Hiberante, XML, DHTML, AJAX, Log4J, JUnit, Mockito, Google Web
Toolkit, YUI, Apache ANT, Docker.IO, XSD, Amazon Web Services (EC2), C#,
Software GIT, SVN, Adobe Photoshop, IntelliJ, Eclipse, Netbeans, SOAPui, Jenkins,
Adobe Flash and Actionscript,
Databases Oracle, MySQL, SQL Server, DB2
Web Servers Apache Web Server, Tomcat, Weblogic, Websphere
Systems OS X, Window (98 – XP), Linux (Redhat, Suse, Ubuntu), Unix
Agilex, Inc – Chantilly, VA June 2014 – September 2015
AFS (Accenture Federal Services) – Chantilly, VA September 2015 – Present
Senior Software Engineer
Responsible for developing web enterprise systems in USPS for management to be able to know the
logistics/health of the organization. Lead a technical team and mentored junior developers to adhere
to best practices.
• Developed Java Enterprise systems that modeled the following architecture.
o Responsive Web UI using AngularJS and Bootstrap.
o Web UI connects to IBM DataPower for SSO (Single-Sign On).
o DataPower connects to the VIP (Netscalar) for load balancing.
o The VIP is connected to the clutstered WAS (Websphere Application Servers).
o The WAS is connected to the Oracle 12c database through data resources.
o My team has control over the WAS and Oracle12c.
o We work closely with the DataPower and VIP team.
• Container and Bean server management development.
• Cluster server architecture development. Have to consider stateless patterns in the Web
Container and sync everything in the DB. Also, need to lock rows (select on update) when
jobs are triggered to no duplicate the effort.
• Interfaced into the USPS’s SMTP server for email notifications.
• Used EJBTimers to do scheduled jobs on the web layer (check DB for notifications, cache DB
elements for quicker response, etc.)
• Developed email notification feature which the user can configure their preferences through
the web UI. The user’s preferences will then be persisted to the DB. An EJB timer will be
triggered to check the DB for notifications to be sent out, which takes into account Timezone
and Daylight savings. Once a notification matches and is ready to be sent out, the application
uses Apache Velocity to generate an email from a template that is saved in the DB.
• Create XSD for RESTful APIs signatures. Used Dozer library for bean mapping XSD elements
to entity objects for the DAO layer.
• Create Oracle SQL scripts for applications by using best practices (normalization, owner/user
grants, foreign key dependencies, etc.).
• Created unit testing with JUnit, Mockito and Hamcrest.
• Created integration testing with Apache OpenEJB.
• Created end-to-end test scripts in SOAPui.
• Prototype Mobile Hybrid application
o Application is for drivers to scan packages for delivery via smartphones and upload data
o Used Cordova for Hybrid approach (Android SDK KitKat - Marshmallow, iOS 7-9) with
React to generate view and Framework 7 for theme.
o Integrate smartphone's capabilities with the application (camera, GPS, contacts,
network/wifi connectivity, offline database - WebSQL, SQLlite)
• Created AWS AMIs (Websphere, Oracle) for continuous integration testing after Jenkin’s
• Setup Bitnami cloud instance of GitLab and administer the product for the team.
o Used web hooks for triggering Jenkin’s builds.
o Protect master branch so that code reviews are used from GitLab to do merge requests.
• Setup Bitnami cloud instance of Jenkins and administer the product for the team.
o Configure appropriate plugins to do builds (Gradle, GIT, NodeJS, etc.)
o Setup python scripts to deploy EAR files to AWS AMI Websphere for CI. Used
wasadmin scripting to configure server to deploy EAR.
o Connect to AWS AMI Oracle to setup DB for Websphere to connect to. Used sqlplus to
run SQL scripts to setup the DB.
o Used SoapUI scripts to do end-to-end testing of the CI environment above.
• Lead a technical team of ~4 on several projects.
• Talk with customers to demo prototypes and capture requirements.
• Created Docker containers (WAS, Oracle) to help new team members migrate their
development environment rapidly.
• Set up CI products (GIT, Jenkins, Jira, etc) for development workflow.
• Research latest technologies to demo to team to use for next iteration of releases.
• Do code reviews to show best coding/system practices.
• Integrate individual applications to be deployable in customer’s environment.
• Setup business processes and customer approvals to deploy our applications in their systems.
• Configured a development environment in Amazon Web Services EC2 to test/deploy
o Configured EC2 options such as AMIs, EBS volumes, security groups and Elastic IPs.
• Enhanced Android application to communicate with a SOA environment.
o Modify Android Architecture (Service, SQLLite, Activity, etc.) to make a RESTful call to
the USPS SOA system
o The application will talk to DataPower which will get the correct version of the REST
service from WSRR.
o The server provider will accept the REST call via a JAX-RS service.
o Created a JDBC connection to an Oracle DB to persist the information.
• Lead developer for geolocation services. Developed a geocoding and distance (between two
points of latitude and longitude) SOAP and RESTful web services.
o Used Spring 4 REST and WS libraries.
o Used ESRI and OpenMap for GIS libraries. ESRI for geocoding and OpenMAP for
o Created Gradle build scripts for build automation.
o Developed unit and integration testing with JUnit and Mockito.
o Setup AWS EC2 cloud instances with Windows and Suse Linux Enterprise Server 12
for system testing.
§ Setup/Configured X Window, VNC Server, firewalls, and Gnome Desktop for
Suse Linux so other developers can remote login graphically.
o Used Jenkins for automated builds with GIT repository.
o Registered SOAP and REST web services in IBM WSRR 8.5 with Datapower XI52 to be
in the SOA environment.
• Developed application to monitor mailing couriers’ statuses of whether a package has been
o Setup front-end web application to be responsive which will work with all media types
(phone, tablet and desktop). Used Bootstrap for responsiveness and AngularJS for JS
o Help developed Middleware services in Spring 4 which are RESTful services to be a
lightweight enterprise application.
o DAO used MyBatis for ORM which is managed by SQL statements.
o Unit and integration testing are done with JUnit and Mockito.
o Oracle 11g is where the data live to drive the application. The data is driven via mobile
Android devices which the courier’s used during their routes.
o The application will utilize the Geolocation web services (above) to confirm the courier’s
pickup locations are legitimately picked up near the assigned locations.
• Perform DevOps on several projects
o Help multiple teams with development when current tasks are done
o Deploy and configure applications in the USPS environments for testing and approval
o Fix issues/bugs on the spot and notified developers on the team about the fix, and to
discuss long term strategies for new releases
o This role requires familiarity with Linux systems, IT networks, endpoints/ports
availability, WebSphere Application Server configurations (App Server, nodes, JNDI,
Oracle data source, SSO, etc.), and debugging issues with code/server/OS/etc.
o Create documentation for USPS production team to follow step-by-step guide on how to
reproduce the deployments/configurations.
• Learning/using IBM products for a SOA infracture
o Configuring DataPower XI52 (gateway and ESB to process message level traffic) to
integrate with Websphere Services Registry and Repository (WSRR)
o Understanding the Governance Life Cycle of web services in WSRR (Registry and
repository for web services to catalog/version/integrate with other SOA pattern
o Configuring a web service in WSRR that can be accessed via DataPower XI52
o Websphere MQ for SOA queue pattern and for publishing/subscribing
o IIB (IBM Integration Bus) for web service or REST HTTP listener endpoints to
orchestrate, mediate or transform messages.
o IBM Worklight for mobile/HTML5 seamless UX. The Worklight product allows multi-
media development for front-end, using Cordova libraries. In addition, includes a Server
which allows a lot of synchronization of multi-media messages (e.g. adapters to capture
request/response, universal push message protocol, etc.)
o Developed a responsive web client in JQuery Mobile to test SOA framework.
GHEngineering - Vienna, VA
Software Engineer November 2009 – Present
Lead several web development projects to develop Content Management and Enterprise systems.
• Created a workflow engine for an EMR (Electronic Medical Records) enterprise system.
• Configured Microsoft SQL Service Broker External Activation, which will launch a C#
external program (.NET) in real-time, when a trigger has been activated in the SQL
• Setup SQL Server’s service and queue messaging system to work with the Service
Broker and create access for local system user to have access to the database’s
queues and external application.
• Develop a C# external program to read new messages from the Service Broker’s
queues and create the appropriate web service SOAP call to the remote Workflow
• Designed and developed a Workflow Engine that has generic user editable parameters
to do programmatic procedures (persist data between databases, file transfers,
• Designed and developed the Workflow Engine’s website for administrators to edit
parameters for specific tasks.
• Created Workflow Engine generic tasks that can be used for scheduled work and
chaining several tasks together.
• Created an auditing system that uses Spring and Hibernate to insert comments into a
database via data sources that are configured through Weblogic.
• Created an email module that can email specific users and groups
• Designed and developed a user friendly front-end webpage for users to generate
letter template for specific emails.
• Created a survey enterprise system.
o Designed the J2EE survey system to have a user and administrator front-end, and
Spring MVC Framework back-end with Hibernate and MySQL.
o Developed a user front-end that utilizes the Spring Web Flow pattern, which will
intuitively navigate the user through the survey questions.
o Developed an administrator front-end that allows the administrator to import data to start
a new survey, export reports, monitor statuses, and add/edit/delete users.
o Developed a back-end that uses the Spring MVC Framework to ensure validation of
data, process flow of each request, and consistent queries to the database via
o Developed secure login and submission designs to not allow duplicate submissions and
disable re-login after a successful submission.
• Convert static websites to Joomla Content Management systems.
o Extracted old web content from Lotus Note database and injected them into a Joomla
o Developed the Joomla Content Management system to facilitate the customer’s
requirements to edit the content through a web browser.
o Created multiple Joomla (PHP) extensions to help the customer intuitively use and
navigate through the website.
Cohbam (SPARTA, Inc.) - Centreville, VA
Software Engineer September 2004 – November 2009
Develop GUI applications and web pages for real-time systems. Responsible for writing software with
rapidly changing requirements and priorities. Single-handedly maintained code for a GUI application
that monitors a real-time system’s processing rates, configurations, and health status. Maintenance
involves gathering new requirements from other teams and then designing, coding and integrating the
new module into the application. When integrating the new module, it depended upon interfacing with
team’s new application, then modifying code from the infrastructure layer all the way up to the user-
interface layer. Help refactor and design new user-interface modules for a real-time data collection
web application. In charge of reviewing designs and code for the team to produce a more efficient
and robust deliverable product. Researched existing tools and libraries to aid and facilitate team’s
development effort. Also, did on-site support to debug problems, answer customer’s questions, and
take customer’s suggestions to implement specific tools that helps assist them.
• Created a multitude of GUI applications that are aesthetically pleasing and intuitive.
• Help design and developed a GUI application that monitors several secure site’s hardware and
o Interface into the camera system to poll for images and display them every few
o Interface into security sensors (door alarms, heat sensors, digital security locks, etc.) to
monitor if a sensor has been disrupted, which will trigger an alert for end-users to be
o Developed a report system which will keep track of all the site’s statuses and generate
• Designed and developed J2EE web applications for both client and server side.
o Created an administration web application to track user accounts in a database system.
• Designed and developed a GUI application to configure an audio network system.
• Develop a Flash application to monitor and configure proprietary applications.
• Develop a custom look-and-feel in Swing for GUI applications.
• Design custom proprietary images in Adobe Photoshop for user-interface applications.
• Develop application layer protocol processing modules for several webmail (Gmail, Yahoo
United Technologies Corporation (UTC) - Windsor Locks, CT
Computer Engineer Internship May-August 2001; June-August 2002
Served as a developer to port over code from older airplane engine systems to newer systems. Help
the team by developing tools to facilitate the development process.
• Converted ADA code into C++ code for an airplane engine operating system. This was a
research task to test if there were faster performances with the new code.
• Created software written in C (the C code was written on a VAX platform) that would parse the
previously written ADA code and see which parts of the code needed to be altered to resemble
C++ code (i.e. fixed the #include files to make it compliant with the C++ compiler, some parts
of the ADA language do not require semicolons at the end of the code where C++ does
o The webpage contains schematic drawings of the airplane engine. The web page
allows a user to navigate through the entire system of the engine by clicking on a
component in the web page.
George Mason University December 2007
Master of Science in Computer Engineering
The Pennsylvania State University December 2003
Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering
ScrumMaster January 2016
Scrum Alliance CSM Certified
ICAgile Certified Professional (ICP) January 2015
International Consortium for Agile (ICAgile)