What is hidden behind EU’s
Governance and Political Inclusion Fellow to the African Union –
European Union Youth Plug-In Initiative
How poor are you?
• Is your daily allowance higher or lower than 1.9$ /
Day, resp. 3.15 BGN (or 94.5 BGN per day / per
• Child Labour in Bangladesh (17% below 14 work, for 8$ /
Month, more than half below poverty line) -
• Do you have access to medical care, water and
sanitation, safe shelter?
• In Myanmar you receive injections with steroids for
virtually anything, the alternative is to fly to Thailand for
• Do you have access to knowledge, information,
advanced education, clean air, food and water?
• If you were born disabled in South Africa you would
probably not go to school.
• Water in most developing countries is poisonous and only
bottled water is to be drunk. Caution must be exercised
even when showering.
• Waste is virtually everywhere and when there are floods,
you are covered in waste up to the waist.
• Do you have personal freedoms, are you being
maltreated by your family?
• Many kids in conservative societies have marriages
arranged from the age of 14.
Development Aid – Volumes, Aims, Recipients
• Where does foreign aid go? -
• From Poverty Alleviation to
• Brundtland „Our Common Future“
• Without compromising the needs of
the future generations
• Addressing existing needs, esp. poverty
(36-12% in 2000-2015)
• Overcome limitations imposed by the
state of technology and social
organization on the environment's
ability to meet present and future
Why does the EU engage in this process?
• The developed western societies
are built on exploitation of labour
and resources during the industrial
revolution (esp. cotton, metal and
• It’s a an act of redemption that
aims to offset the future costs of
• Critical perspectives include:
• Economic neo-colonialism
• Regulatory hegemony
• Geopolitical influence
European Colonization of Americas and South
Why is it so complicated?
• These processes are dependent on
• But we overproduce, pollute and create
enormous amounts of waste
• The rest of the world is deteriorating
– there are wars and insecurity,
insufficient education coupled with
exponential demographic growth,
resources and people are exploited
• Social progress vs. Economic Growth -
> each $ creates less social progress
and more pollution than before
How to approach the situation?
• Prioritize domestic reinvestment of
economic gains into social progress
• Transform linear into a circular economy -
• Invest in the wellbeing of other societies,
as otherwise migration and pollution will
• Your personal role?
• Communicate these problems, reduce your
usage of resources, check packaging of
goods, don’t throw food (in EU – 150
• Create social ventures – e.g. apps for
optimization of farming, which you sell to
agricultural producers and reinvest the
gains to expand your business