Anna-Rosa Asikainen- How to Better Handle Conflicts Between Protected Species and Humans
How to better handle conflicts between
protected species and humans?
Bilateral meeting: seminar
Central Union of Agricultural Producers and Forest Owners (MTK)
Anna-Rosa Asikainen, lawyer
• Genuine discussions between different parties is a precondition for finding
• Is bureaucracy hindering successful interaction?
• The key role of farmers, forest owners and people living in rural areas should be
better acknowledged. Are they just passive objects of regulation or active
• The derogations provided under Art 19 of the Habitats Directive and Art 9 of the
Birds Directive need to be used actively and effectively.
• The provisions related to derogations should be interpreted so that the outcome
supports social sustainability and takes account the conservation situation of the
species in question.
Providing financial compensation
• Nature protection and safeguarding biodiversity is a common interest. Fairness
and social sustainability require supporting the ones facing difficulties.
• The compensation should be fair and adequate to cover the losses. The
compensation process has to be simple and quick.
Social sustainability is a prerequisite for
Thank you for your attention!