Media always around reminding people of the ethnic and racial diversity linked to social conflict in many regions of the world. Also the media encourages awareness of race and ethnicity of ‘folk devils particularly with Islam.
This can be a disadvantage to researchers
Katie joely race and ethnicity presentation
Review of the sage handbook of Race and ethnic
studies by Patricia Hill Collins and John Solomos
A presentation by Katie Muir and Joely Chambers
• Linnaeus believed that humans could be
Steve Jones The Language of Genes
Paris attacks — increase of online Islamophobia
The first part of the Handbook
Historical foundations of race and ethnic
relations and its role in the United States.
Using a census - difficult to construct the
different ethnic groups
The second part of the Handbook
• Race and ethnicity — social hierarchies such as
class, nation, gender and sexuality.
• Gender and race relations developed from the
US Civil Rights Movement from the 1970s.
The third part of the Handbook
• Race and ethnicity in social institutions e.g.
political relations and migration
• Institutional racism - Stephan Lawrence
The fourth part of the Handbook
• Education — Banks and Park
Criticisms of the Handbook
• Only focuses on United States and Britain –
overlooks the insight of other parts of the