CURRICULUM AND THE TEACHER
L E C T U R E R : Y E E B E E
C H O O
I P G K T H O
Topic 5a TSL 3143
ROLE OF TEACHER IN CURRICULUM
Practitioner Researcher Analyst
• The teacher is a professional is an educator and
a practitioner in knowledge and skills.
• The practitioner understands the central
concepts, tools of inquiry, and structures of the
discipline he teaches and creates learning
experiences that make these aspects of subject
matter meaningful for students.
• Teacher as a researcher involves the
commitment to systematic questioning of one’s
own teaching as a basis for development.
• Teacher plays a role in investigating
pedagogical problems through inquiry.
• According to Dewey (1929) teacher’s
investigations not only lead to knowledge about
the school but also led to good teaching.
• The role of the teacher as a social agent is an
important part of the learning process.
• The teaching/learning process is basically and
essentially an interaction between teacher and
• The teacher is often a motivator for pupils,
encouraging or reproving them as appropriate.
• A teacher needs to be an agent of change to
develop his/her own professional learning
which has encompassed strategies and
interpersonal skills essential for managing
change within the school.
• The teacher structures and manages the
• All decisions and actions required to maintain
order in the classroom, such as laying down
rules and procedures for learning activities.
• Make a list of different teaching
approaches and different teaching
materials used in the classroom.
• Drawing on your school experience,
analyse and review the preparation an
English Language teacher has to make
before, during and after class.