MEANING OF BIRTH REISTRATION
Birth registration is the process by which a child's birth is
recorded in the civil register by the government authority. It
provides the first legal recognition of the child and is
generally required for the child to obtain a birth certificate
and as a result any other legal documents and rights.
WHY BIRTH REGISTRATION IS
• It provides permanent, official and visible evidence of a state's legal recognition of
his or her existence as a member of society
• Medical treatment
• Education Facilities
• Prevent Child Exploitation
A Birth Certificate is a Passport to Opportunities...
CURRENT SCENARIO OF INDIA
• An estimated 26 million births take place in the country every year.
• The current registration level of births in the country is about 58% for births.
• Each year about 42% of births go unregistered, which is about 10 million births.
• There are 5 major low performing states (UP, Bihar, Rajasthan, AP and Madhya
Pradesh) that have problems of low registration ranging from 20% to 57% which is
affecting the overall registration level in the country because these 5 low performing
states also account for approximately 25% of the annual births and are among the
most populous states in the country.
• Registration level in the rural areas is lower when compared to the urban areas.
KEY ISSUES & CHALLENGES
• Low priority accorded to registration and general apathy.
• Lack of inter-departmental co-ordination.
• Inadequate budget allocation by the States for Civil Registration work.
• Low levels of knowledge amongst registration functionaries about the processes and
procedures of registration, reporting and management of data.
• Lack of regular monitoring and supervision of civil registration work in the states.
• Lack of awareness about the need and importance of registration.
LACK OF DEMAND
• Lack of awareness about the need and importance of registration
• Low utility of registration certificates and the use of alternate
documents for proving the date of birth and claiming benefits.
• Weak demand for vital statistics among planners and administrators