We have more than 50 new stories in v3, but I wanted to pick the 3 that better represents the major version change of Xray .
Test Repository and Test Plan board brings Hierarchical organization of Tests both at the test creation time and at execution time.
The new Test evolutions gadget is inline with our wish to give more and more tools to analyze "how the project is going” in terms of Test status
In Xray we aim to help customers to have a clear separation of organization from planning and execution phases.
So, for the organization phase we provide Test Repository feature where you may organize your Tests in any property you find important. Ux tests, performance tests, regression, etc.
We already have grouping with TestSet, but there are no levels of hierarchy in a Test Set
This is a new methodology that Xray support. Every methodology has its pros and cons.
In Test Repository there is no Coverage Status information.
This table show us that from Xray v3, besides all benefits from using Xray for JIRA, all concepts from Quality Center are now present in Xray for JIRA.
If Test Repository is a way to organize our Tests in a structural level for the project. Test Plan board allow to create the same principles but at the moment of planning and execution. There is no limit of Projects and this organization will be valid for a particular TestPLan only
An example of the Test Plan Issue view. The big differences will be the button that will lead users to the Board and also a new filter component allowing to filter based on the folders where a particular set of tests belongs to.
In the Test Plan board we can perform the same operations as in the Test Repository but in the context of That particular Test Plan. Also, since we are in the context of an execution, we can see the actual Status of the tests at that moment.
If you don’t want to use Tests hierarchical feature, just uncheck this setting in Xray administration.
Sometimes during different iterations, tests may fail because of bugs meanwhile introduced or for some other reasons (such as problems in test environments stability). Also, sometimes you may execute subsets of the tests you aim to validate. But in the end, you need to evaluate the current status of all your tests. The Test Evolution gadget provides this.
Give our users a way to see the progress of tests, namely the ones belonging to a Test Plan through a period of time. For instance, a Failed Test Run can warn you about a feature that has introduced a bug in the product.
A list of places where you can find our documentation, roadmaps and advices and examples on how to use our product.
Xray for Jira 3.0 - What's New?
Xray v3 – What’s new?
Team Leader – Xray Server
Manual & Automated Test Management
Xray 3.0 in 3 bullet points
1. Test Repository
2. Test Plan Board
3. Tests Evolution Gadget
• An hierachical organization of Tests inside a project
Test Plan Board
• Hierarchical view of Test Plan – Hierarchical Organization at the moment of execution
Tests Evolution Gadget
• A way to see the progress of the tests, namely the ones belonging to a Test Plan.
What Xray aims with 3.0
What Xray aims with 3.0 – Test Repository
• Provides project level Test organization
• Tests may be organized by high-level feature, characteristic, component, sub-
• Tests should not be organized by execution related aspects (that’s the aim of
the Test Plan Board we’ll see later)
What Xray aims with 3.0 – Test Repository
• Hierarchical concept, similar to computer folders, may be more easy to
• Can live side by side with the existing Test Set concept
• A Test can only by in one folder… so it cannot be categorized in multiple ways
simultaneously (as you can do by using labels)
• A folder cannot be used as a way to cover requirements; Test Sets can
Comparing Xray with other enterprise level tools
HP ALM/QC Xray for JIRA
Test Plan Test Repository (in v3.0) Project wide
Test Lab Test Plan Board (in v3.0) In HP ALM, it’s project wide
- Test Plan In Xray, it’s version specific
Test Set Test Execution Similar, when in HP a Test Set is
assigned to a cycle of a release.
- Test Set In Xray, a Test Set is a simple list
of tests not related with execution
In HP ALM, it can be seen as a
Test Set without cycle and
Test Run Test Run
What Xray aims with 3.0 – Test Plan Board
• Tests Hierarchy at execution time
• All Tests associated with a Test Plan can be organized in the hierarchy that the
Test Manager finds accurate at that time
• Order Tests with Test Ranking inside Test Plan