Link Building: 25 reasons-why-another-site-will-link-to-yours
Link Building: 25 reasons why another site will link to yours Ken McGaffin, CMO Wordtracker
1. Because you pay them for a listing Link: http://www.skaffe.com/viewCat/11594 PatioShoppers.com Of course, directory listings are some of the easiest to get. All you have to do is pay the required fee and follow the guidelines to have your site included.
2. Because you’re a member of a Trade Association Link: http://www.woodworking.org/WC/members.html Cabinetstore.com Many trade associations now have a good online presence and as part of their benefits publish links to their member’s websites.
3. Because your products get people talking http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ny/good-questions/adding-rollout-shelves-to-existing-cabinets-good-questions-106832 ShelfGenie.com People will talk about and ask questions about your products and that can bring you links as in this question about Shelf Genie published on Apartment Therapy.
4. Because you’re a member of a local group http://www.outerbankschamber.com/vguide/rentalagents.cfm BrindleyBeach.com Local groups and associations can be great sources of local links as in this link to BrindleyBeach.com from the Outerbanks Chamber of Commerce.
5. Because you make a great case study http://www.netimperative.com/news/2008/june/9/coremetrics-speeds-up-site-tagging-time Tuccini.com Companies are always looking for good case study material. If you can help your suppliers communicate the benefits of their products, then links can follow.
6. Because you belong to a specific demographic group http://www.youngentrepreneur.com/blog/young-entrepreneur-interview-sarah-prevette-of-sprouter-com/ Sprouter.com This interview with Sarah Prevette of Sprouter.com was published on YoungEntrepreneur.com.
7. Because you submit a tip http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/woodworking_blog/index.php/tag/furniture/ AdamRung.com Submitting tips to industry journals or blogs raises your profile and brings nice links such as this one on The Woodworker’s Journal for Adam Rung.
8. Because you comment on a breaking news story http://www.abebooks.com/blog/index.php/2009/02/23/socks-the-cat-dead-at-19-and-the-10-oddest-presidential-pets/ PetsPlace.com PetsPlace.com piggybacked on the news that the Clinton’s cat passed away. They compiled a list of the 10 Oddest Presidential Pets and got links such as this one from AbeBooks as a result.
9. Because you’re a valuable resource http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/734277/Where-the-West-was-shot.html SedonaRouge.com A writer on a ‘road and movie’ trip through Arizona, visits locations from famous movies. At the end of the article, he lists resources for anyone following in his footsteps.
10. Because you offer a discount http://www.petergreenberg.com/b/10-Great-Labor-Day-Travel-Deals/-318735182110114917.html Broadmoor.com We all love a discount and that’s why many bloggers and journalists will direct their readers to great offers they hear about. Even better if you can tie into a specific holiday.
11. Because you make a donation http://www.nationalcherryblossomfestival.org/news/japan-relief-efforts/ Crumbs.com Your charitable donations are not only good in themselves, but they can also bring links as shown by CRUMB’S Bake Shop’s donation to the Japan relief fund.
12. Because you support your industry http://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2009/28//full FabFours.com FabFours.com is a leading bumper manufacturer who support SEMA, the Specialist Equipment Marketing Association – they’ve been rewarded with a link.
13. Because you have an unusual business http://www.coolbusinessideas.com/archives/barber_stop.htm l BarberStop.com Barber Stops are small self-contained barber shops easily set up in any retail setting. The unusual nature of the business cries out for attention.
14. Because you give an interview http://www.smallbusinessadvocate.com/small-business-braintrust/andy-dunn-100222 Bonobos.com People love to hear stories, not dull business facts. So experts, bloggers and journalists are keen to interview the people behind the companies they feature.
15. Because you’re offering an internship or job http://www.onedayoneinternship.com/internships/warby-parker/#more-7197 WarbyParker.com Warby Parker is a spectacle company in New York that is looking to recruit interns. By spreading the word, they got this link One Day One Internship
16. Because you attend an exhibition http://www.bestofneworleans.com/gambit/wellness-expoandtrade-2009-directory-of-exhibitors/Content?oid=1253313 NewBathNow.com NewBathNow.com attend exhibitions and events in promoting their bathroom remodeling products. Many such events now offer links to participating companies.
17. Because you buck a trend http://www.jsonline.com/business/49048151.html Everything2go.com Economic times are tough but many companies are bucking the trend, growing sales and creating new jobs. Everything2go is one featured in this newspaper article with a link.
18. Because you publish videos on your own site http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=87368 YetiCoolers.com Yeti Coolers are stronger than ordinary coolers. And they’ve made some videos to prove it. The videos attracted links from the spearfishing community at SpearBoard.com
19. Because you publish videos on YouTube http://www.kendallgiles.com/kegblog/travel/ TRXTraining.com TRXTraining.com publish an intensive 12-week fitness program on YouTube. It brings them links like this one.
20. Because your products make great gifts http://denverchiropractor.com/blog/healthy-valentine-gift-ideas/ Romanospizzeria.com People are always looking for great gifts and they love reading lists – and they also love writing them as this post on 101 healthy Valentines gifts shows.
21. Because you help them make money http://www.coolmompicks.com/2008/11/holiday_baby_gifts_that_is_actually.php Estella-nyc.com Many bloggers have affiliate links for the products they write about and review. Offering an affiliate scheme can bring you extra sales and extra links.
22. Because your products are healthy http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/everydaycooking/tastetests/healthysnacktastetest FoodShouldTasteGood.com A focus on healthy foods was recognized by Epicurious Magazine when they published an article on healthy foods that kids love.
23. Because you support a local college http://www.ndsu.edu/caedm/partners/ Appareo.com Appareo’s innovative products improve flight safety on aircraft. The company partners with North Dakota State University and got a trusted link as a result.
24. Because you seek help http://www.marketingprofs.com/ea/qst_question.asp?qstID=12376 Appareo.com Appareo asked members at MarketingProfs.com what they thought about its mission statement and got a nice link as a result.
25. Because you encourage reviews http://www.mommyenterprises.com/2009/03/eleven-review-and-giveaway.htm Elevencollection.com Sites such as Mommy Enterprizes invites companies to submit their products for review. The results include links like this one.