• Treaty of Paris – December 10, 1898,
terminated the Spanish-American raging in
Cuba and the Philippines were ceded to
the United States by Spain for the paltry
sum of US million..
• Public School System
• Mass Education
• Elementary Education
• Secondary Education
• Higher Education
• Vocational Education
• English language was used as a medium
• New subject areas were introduced -
reading, writing, arithmetic, language, good
manners and right conduct, civics, hygiene
and sanitation, gardening, domestic
science, American History and Philippine
• American textbooks and reading materials
were the only educational materials used
• Technical/ vocational skills were
• “Thomasite's” were the first teacher.
• Grade seven was included.
• First Philippine Commission (President
William McKinley, April 7,1900)
• Bring about an era of anew form of colonial
governance over a long-oppressed people.
• Educational Act No. 34(January 21, 1901)
• Established the Department of Public
Instruction♪ Organic Act of 1916
• Department of Public Instruction is headed
by a secretary.
• Act No. 74 – Educational Act of 1901
• ”Organic School Law” of the Philippines
• Continuance of public/private schools
• Prohibits teacher from teaching religion
• Act No. 3162 & 3196 -Munroe Survey
Commission in 1925
• Evaluate the entire educational system
• Concurrent Resolution No.17 in the
Philippine Legislature in 1925
• Public schools were designed to promote
the establishment of self-
• governing Philippine state, independent
• Act 477 – Bureau of Education
• Act 2708 – Government inspection and
supervision of private school obligatory
• Act 2957 - Board of Textbook
• Commonwealth started in 1935 with
Manuel L.Quezon as the president.
“Preparatoryperiod “that would enable the
Filipinos to deserve independence.
• Formal Institution of the Adult Education
(called non-formal education)
• – Transfer the vocational-industrial
education program from the formal to non-
• “Filipino” language was used as the
medium of instruction
• Vocational schools were made more
similar in curriculum to Academic schools
• Celebration of National Language Week
• Commonwealth Act No. 80 in 1963 – Office
of Adult Education
• Commonwealth Act No. 4 – ROTC
• Executive Order No. 17(Quezon Code of
Ethics) – Foundation stone of emerging
philosophy of the Philippine Education
• 1935 Constitution
• moral character
• personal discipline
• civic conscience
• vocational efficiency
• citizenship training
• ____________1.American textbooks and reading
materials were the only educational materials used
• ____________2. English language was used as a
medium of instruction.
• ____________3. “Filipino” language was used as the
medium of instruction.
• ____________4. Celebration of National Language
Week every August.
• 1.true 3.true
• 2.true 4.true