Successfully reported this slideshow.

Wellingtone - Developing Effective PMO Skills Like a Jedi - FuturePMO 2018

1

Share

Loading in …3
×
1 of 16
1 of 16

Wellingtone - Developing Effective PMO Skills Like a Jedi - FuturePMO 2018

1

Share

Download to read offline

Presented by Emma-Ruth Aranaz-Pemberton
Presentation Synopsis: According to our research only 47% of organisations invest in accredited training and development for their delivery teams. The remaining 53% are developing their skills through untested or self-learning; but this is not the best approach for our PMO people who bring change and transformation to organisations.

It’s a VUCA world out there, change is the new normal, and it is no different for the training & development world. In Japanese culture, the art of mastering a skill takes a learner through three distinct stages: Shu (copy), Ha (individualise), and Ri (enlighten). ShuHaRi has been used for centuries but can also be applied to the modern world.

In this practical session, Emma-Ruth will provide some insights into your skills and development opportunities through a taster session of the Wellingtone PMO Competency Framework and inspire you, so you can ShuHaRi your way to success!

Presented by Emma-Ruth Aranaz-Pemberton
Presentation Synopsis: According to our research only 47% of organisations invest in accredited training and development for their delivery teams. The remaining 53% are developing their skills through untested or self-learning; but this is not the best approach for our PMO people who bring change and transformation to organisations.

It’s a VUCA world out there, change is the new normal, and it is no different for the training & development world. In Japanese culture, the art of mastering a skill takes a learner through three distinct stages: Shu (copy), Ha (individualise), and Ri (enlighten). ShuHaRi has been used for centuries but can also be applied to the modern world.

In this practical session, Emma-Ruth will provide some insights into your skills and development opportunities through a taster session of the Wellingtone PMO Competency Framework and inspire you, so you can ShuHaRi your way to success!

More Related Content

More from Wellingtone

Related Books

Free with a 14 day trial from Scribd

See all

Related Audiobooks

Free with a 14 day trial from Scribd

See all

Wellingtone - Developing Effective PMO Skills Like a Jedi - FuturePMO 2018

  1. 1. Developing Effective PMO Skills Like a Jedi
  2. 2. DirectorofConsulting Services Wellingtone Chair,APMPMOSIG PMOValueRing CertifiedConsultant UKPartner PMOEventOrganiser FuturePMO PjMntDayofService Speaker Writer AvidLearner @PMONinjas PMOManager ProjectManagers WithoutBorders Mentor ProjectManagers AgainstPoverty Iam…
  3. 3. Research tells us… 53% 47%
  4. 4. Rise of the accidental PMO People Just get on with it, you’ll be fine...
  5. 5. Total Wellness is defined as “a state of being in good health especially as an actively sought goal”. Wellness has many components and it is often depicted as physical, mental, spiritual, career, social, family, and financial health. If areas of the one’s wellness are under developed or neglected, wellness will be off balance. Wellness is achieved when there is a degree of balance among the areas. When looking at an individual PMO career journey it is imperative to support an individual across the spectrum of competencies that make them the individual they are, not the role they are currently performing. This approach helps to avoid the Peter Principle.
  6. 6. Competency Areas The PMO Strategy competencies test an individual’s toolset, their strategic foresight and business management skills The PMO Delivery competencies test an individual’s toolkit, their adaptiveness to their environment to enable successful outcomes The PMO Capability competencies test the mindset, behaviours and leadership skills of an individual
  7. 7. PMO Competencies Sets high standards for self & others Attention to detail Works at a high level at all times
  8. 8. PMO Competencies Champions authentic leadership Encourages innovation Leading from the front Authentic Leadership
  9. 9. PMO Competencies Comfortable leading conversation Interacts at all levels Influencing skills
  10. 10. PMO Competencies At ease collaborating across disciplines Shows diplomatic sensitivity Manages expectations
  11. 11. PMO Competencies Is aware of self and others Emotional control & intelligence Shows empathy at all levels
  12. 12. PMO Competencies Unafraid of acting transparently Challenges assumptions Applies critical thinking Minimises bias
  13. 13. PMO Competencies Operating with high standards Conduct & Integrity Manages conflicts of interest Responsibility & Ownership
  14. 14. Your capability assessment taster The PMO Capability competencies test the mindset, behaviours and leadership skills of an individual Name Definition Knowledge Experience Ethics & Professionalism Demonstrates that self and organisation are operating within high standards of conduct & integrity, is able to identify, acknowledge and manage conflicts of interest in order to promote sustainable behaviours of accountability, responsibility and taking ownership Working with Transparency Is unafraid of acting with transparency or challenging assumptions by and applying critical thinking to ensure recognition and minimisation of bias Emotional Intelligence Understands the importance of being aware of self and others emotions, demonstrates emotional control and intelligence and shows empathy with those at all levels Stakeholder Engagement Is at ease working with and encouraging collaboration across disciplines whilst showing diplomatic sensitivity, including effectively managing expectations at all levels Communication Is comfortable communicating and especially leading the conversation through the ability to interact at all levels, shows effective influencing skills Leadership Is an authentic leader, encouraging innovation, continuously striving for emotional intelligence and leading from the front Culture of Excellence Consistently sets high standards for self and others, demonstrates attention to detail and works at a high level at all times Capability Level:
  15. 15. Your capability assessment taster results Competency Level Aware Competent Practitioner Connoisseur Master Score 0 – 24 25 – 39 40 – 54 55 – 64 65 - 70 Knowledge Has little or no knowledge PMO and/or project management as a discipline Can demonstrate an understanding of the PMO, its individual elements and its basic application in the organisational context Sufficient level of understanding to recognise and apply the PMO practices and processes and provides feedback Can demonstrate a solid level of understanding and is able to define, design, deliver and review the results of a PMO, its financial components and analyse and report on it's results Is able to utilise experience to mentor and coach, can identify an opportunity to implement or transform a PMO across complex environments and across the value lifecycle Competency Level Aware Competent Practitioner Connoisseur Master Score 0 – 19 20 – 34 35 – 49 50 – 59 60 - 70 Experience Has little or no formal PMO or project management experience Has some experience obtained from carrying out one or more roles within a PMO structure Has experience in successfully applying the PMO processes and practices as part of a PMO role (or roles) and supporting process development Has experience and a track record obtained from successfully applying PMO structures and principles within an organisation Is able to empower others towards a common goal through a broad range of experience and a good track record gained from responsible PMO development assuring a maturity step change in multiple organisations, different in nature
  16. 16. Thank you!

Editor's Notes

  • Binca Ilibasic – Manulife finalist in two PMO awards 2018
  • Binca Ilibasic – Manulife finalist in two PMO awards 2018
  • Binca Ilibasic – Manulife finalist in two PMO awards 2018
  • Binca Ilibasic – Manulife finalist in two PMO awards 2018
  • Binca Ilibasic – Manulife finalist in two PMO awards 2018
  • Binca Ilibasic – Manulife finalist in two PMO awards 2018
  • Binca Ilibasic – Manulife finalist in two PMO awards 2018
  • ×