Ohio State, Large Binocular Telescope
Lets be clear. Sticking
something under a
camera or onto a
scanner ain’t the issue
Digitisation supports the business
• Digitisation supports your users needs.
• Digitisations supports your strategic goals & aims.
• Digitisation aligns with your existing services.
Remember, digitisation shouldn’t be at odds with your collection policy & it
shouldn’t be in conflict with other services that are on offer. Access to
digitised material doesn’t necessarily replace walk-in or other forms of access.
Digitisation – process overview
Refine & review processes document & share
Funding, staff, equipment, IT,
storage, data management
Strategy, plans, user services, etc
There are simpler models…
Digitisation uses three IT systems…
1. Workflow management system – ‘Goobi’ =
2. Digital object repository – ‘Preservica’ =
3. Front end - ‘the player’ = ACCESS.
Remember, this doesn’t include cataloguing or bibliographic systems. Here
we’re just talking about the process of creating, storing & delivering digital
content. You have to assume that those other systems are also in place.
• Manages & tracks the production of content.
• Workflow driven. Highly automated. Project
• Allows us to set very granular access conditions.
• Scalable & highly adaptable to different projects.
Goobi is our workflow tracking & management system for the production of
digital content. Automating as many of Goobi’s processes as possible allows
our work to be both efficient & scalable. Goobi is also the system with which
humans interact the most.
How Preservica works – out the back
• No direct public access to SDB.
• Little direct staff access to SDB content.
• High levels of automation of ingest, Goobi.
• Platform for dissemination mediated by the player.
A centralised repository of & for digital content is a key part of both
preservation of & access to your content. It’s a single place where we both
store & manage our content.
How the player works
• Makes HTTP request to SDB for content based on
Preservica PUID (Objects unique & permanent
• Draws & implements access conditions from
• Permitted user actions drawn from METS.
• Draws DMD from live catalogue + from METS.
The player acts as a single point of access to our content, we have a unified
delivery mechanism through which all content is delivered. Aim is to provide
as seamless & as easy as possible access to all digital content. Easy for the
user to understand & an interface with which they can quickly become familiar.
So, to wrap up…
• Digitisation supports strategic goals & aims.
• Systems & processes help us manage the end-to
end production & delivery of digitised content.
• Need to think about the whole activity not just one
• Above all else digitisation is an exercise in project
Questions now, questions later…?
Dave Thompson, Digital Curator
firstname.lastname@example.org - @d_n_t