Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.

Putting a value on your information assets - Martin White

1,766 views

Published on

Martin White at Intranet Now, 5th Oct 201y.

See slide 7 for the equation.

Published in: Business
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

Putting a value on your information assets - Martin White

  1. 1. Putting a value on your information assets Intranet Now 2017 Martin White, Intranet Focus Ltd www.intranetfocus.com Create Store Discover Use Share Review
  2. 2. #IntranetNow
  3. 3. Create Store Discover Use Share Review Record Dispose The information lifecycle #IntranetNow
  4. 4. Create Store Discover If the Discovery processes are ineffective then the ability of the firm to use and share information are significantly reduced Information becomes invisible #IntranetNow
  5. 5. #IntranetNow Could this happen in your organisation?
  6. 6. Putting a value on information assets • The assumptions • Everyone with access to your intranet spends at least 10% of their working day creating, reviewing and revising information • Reports, memos, policies, standards, guidelines, news, comments etc • An indicative salary for people creating this content is £45,000 and with overheads that costs your organisation £70,000 a year • Information has a one year half-life, so that only half the information created a year ago still has a value to the organisation #IntranetNow
  7. 7. The formula • Say your organisation has 1200 people using the intranet • Divide by 10 because if 10% of their time is spent creating information that is the equivalent of 120 employees full time • Multiply by 1.5 to allow for the information half-life factor over two years, so that is 180 • Multiply by 7 as the first stage of working out the time/salary, which brings the number to 1260 • Multiple by 10,000 to bring the 7 up to £70,000 • £12,600,000 is the final number #IntranetNow
  8. 8. Some comments • I suspect that the 10% figure is low and that overall the figure understates the asset value. If they are only working at a 10% level on information creation what are they doing for the other 90% • This is not an officially auditable figure but it is worth comparing the about with other assets on the organisation’s balance sheet • The main purpose is to balance the investment your organisation has made in creating information with the level of investment it has made in being able to find information • If you use SharePoint the argument will be that search is a sunk cost. In terms of capital investment that might be the case but you need at least two full time staff (one from the business and one from IT) on making sure that the search application is working well. • See the chart on the next slide #IntranetNow
  9. 9. A guide to search team investment This chart appears in Making Search Work, found at intranetfocus.com/resources/research-notes/ and directly at intranetfocus.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Making- Search-Work-Intranet-Focus-April-2017.pdf [PDF; 1.7MB] So if you have 1200 people you should be Investing around $90/£80 per person in support staff, or £96,000. Then there is a chance that £12M of information assets will become visible #IntranetNow
  10. 10. Further reading • The high cost of not finding information • http://www.ejitime.com/materials/IDC%20on%20The%20High%20Cost%20Of%20Not%20Finding%20Information.pdf • Measuring the value of information (dates from 1993) • https://www.researchgate.net/publication/224102163_Measuring_the_Value_of_Information_The_Information-Intensive_Organization • What does your information really cost • http://www.dovetail.events/media/What%20Does%20Your%20Information%20Really%20Cost.pdf #IntranetNow

×