COMMUNITY MANAGERS EXECUTE COMMUNITY STRATEGY AND
ENSURE SHARED PURPOSE.
• ABILITY TO MATCH BRAND’S
• UNDERSTANDING HUMAN
BEHAVIOR AND MOTIVATIONS
• CONFLICT RESOLUTION
• RELATIONSHIP BUILDING
• LOVE OF PEOPLE
• JUDGEMENT CAPABILITY
• TEMPERED ENTHUSISAM
ROLE OF A COMMUNITY MANAGER:
1. Ensure the AUDIENCE receives more VALUE than they contribute
2. Define the SCOPE, IDEAL OUTCOMES AND BOUNDARIES
3. Facilitate disagreement and conflict in a CONSTRUCTIVE MANNER
4. Monitor, Measure & Report
5. Discourage and limit DESTRUCTIVE BEHAVIORS
Key things to always observe on
• Your company name
• Your products and/or brands
• The competition
• Customer service inquiries
• The CEO
• Keywords related to your industry
• SOCIAL MEDIA is about giving a channel where the
customer can INTERACT WITH THE BRAND.
• The Tone of Voice should be LESS
CORPORATE and MORE HUMAN.
• AVOID BACK AND FORTH exchanges online with
an irate customer
• Always call an irate customer or ask them to
share their contacts.
• DO NOT ask for a customer’s number before
confirming on the database
• ALWAYS check for SPELLING MISTAKES before
responding to queries.
• BE POLITE: No matter the discussion, while acting on behalf of the brand, be
polite. The conversation may be formal or informal but as an agent of the brand
kindly maintain your decorum.
• DO NOT make EXPLICIT REFERENCES: No images, or inappropriate wording
should be used on any of the brand’s digital platforms.
• DO NOT use PROFANE or OBSCENE LANGUAGE or make any references to
• DO NOT ATTACK OTHER INDUSTRY PLAYERS. Competition will be dealt in the
best way the Brand knows how, offering outstanding customer service and
post great results.
• AS AN AGENT FOR THE BRAND. Avoid comments or updates that suggest
your displeasure in your association with the Brand.
• TAKE NOTE OF TROLLS. Someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-
topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog with
the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response.
• IDENTITY THEFT: This could happen by simply clicking a link. Most of the links have
a catchy line like “I found this blog saying nasty things about you, click here”
others are offers “for more followers click here”
Steps to determine the threshold for the volume
and sentiment of mentions online:
• LESS THAN FIVE NEGATIVE MENTIONS PER
HOUR: Continue monitoring closely. Compile a
report for senior management to review at the
end of the day.
• MORE THAN FIVE NEGATIVE MENTIONS PER
HOUR: Begin taking note of the current
• MORE THAN 10 NEGATIVE MENTIONS PER
HOUR, FOR MORE THAN THREE CONSECUTIVE
HOURS: Contact the team and begin officially
rolling out the social media crisis management