Hi, how is everyone today! This internship was not a requirement by WVU but I am receiving credit hours for it. This internship was an overall success for me because I got the opportunity to develop new skills as well as contribute to my home county. I will now discuss the various projects I worked on including their importance as well as what I gained from them.
This is a portion of our trails dataset for the county that was created for committees to analyze the distribution of current trails so that they can plan for future trails.As you can see, there aren’t very many trails and there is a serious lack of connectivity between them.
My job was to digitize a few trails that had not been added yet.Here is an example of one of those trails. (Laserpointer) Here is the feature and this gap here is an example of the disconnectivity of the trails.I was able to field check this and confirm that its not connected because its near my house. You have this very small trail to begin with and then you have a gap in it.(Not good!)
This is the first map I made this summer and its used as a base map by the trails committee to analyze and prioritize where to connect trails and where to plan new trails.
This is a result of the previous map where the trails committee came up with these corridors to connect some of these trails.
In conclusion, the experience I gained from this project was learning the basic editing features of 1 and 2 as well as 3 with the mapmaking. Now, the importance of this project is to provide a 1
This is an overview showing the distribution of county subdivisions that was created by a previous intern, Megan Hammond in 2008, and it is used for planning purposes.My task was to update this layer by adding all the new approved subdivisions since it was created. The existing SDs are in yellow while the features I added are highlighted in red.(LaserPointer) As you can see, most of these were minor subdivions but there were a few major ones though.
Here’s an example of one that I added. After doing research to discover this was a recently(meaning since 2008) approved SD, I was able to locate this off of its tax parcel information and digitize a feature for it
This process I used to add many of these features was georeferencing. I was able to add a picture file of the Final Platt to my map document and (Laserpointer) georeference it in order to accurately draw the SD boundary and each individual lot boundary.
In conclusion, I once again received experience in editing features and I was also able to learn to georeference.The purpose of this was to provide current data that is up-to-date and accurate for planning purposes.
Here is an overview of our county’s zip code boundaries. As you can see, the borders were loosely drawn and there is no distinct pattern to them.
As we zoom in to a border of two zip code areas, you can see the effect these loosely drawn boundaries has on addressing. This is an example a house that is addressed by the Postal Service off of its mailbox location which is in this Zip code area, while 9-1-1 addresses off of the buildings physical location which is in this zip code area. Now this is a concern because this inconsistency in addressing can impact 9-1-1 emergency response. 9-1-1 uses a database table known as MSAG that consists of address ranges, street names, emergency response zones, and zip codes. It’s a vital tool used by dispatchers when an emergency is phoned in to locate the callers physical address. In order to fix this addressing inconsistency, our office is working with the postal service to provide them with snapshots of Zip Code boundary reconciliations so that they may review and hopefully accept.
Breckinridge split into three different zip code areasDrew the boundary to include this portion of the SD in this Zip Code area
-Now moving on to the last project and the one that took up most of my time during the summer-This is an overview of our landcover dataset, which is used to assess the distribution of different types of landcover including…
I was tasked with going in and updating this dataset to reflect a better cartographic reprsentaion and to keep it up-to- date for landcover analysis-Specifically focused on the City of Shepherdstown area and this is the source photo that was used interepret the different classifications of landcover-This is an area where a church was built. The source data is accurately depicted for its time but I edited this layer to reflect the new development
After I finished updating the Shepherdstown area. We ran an assessment and here is a table of the results.Exaggerated increase in water and soil
At this time I’d like to thank the Jefferson County Commission for providing me with this internship and I’d especially like to thank the GIS office for helping expand my GIS knowledgebase and truly making this a great experience for me this summer. This concludes my presentation and we are holding questions until Heather finishes her presentation.
Land Cover Project (EPAN 2010)
Jefferson County CommissionPatrick Corley GIS Internship<br />