WTIA Cloud Computing Series - Part IV: Skytap Case Study.
Microsoft WITA Event
Sr. Director of Product Management
Skytap Company Overview
• Headquarters: Seattle, Washington
Background: • Founded October, 2006; venture-backed by Madrona Ventures / Ignition
Cloud-based virtual lab platform:
Vision & Value • 100% self service, on-demand virtual IT environments
Proposition: • Applications & VM unchanged
A li ti VMs h d
• SaaS virtual lab management for team collaboration
• 50-75%+ TCO savings
• Software testing: QA test lab/ IT ops prototyping
Solutions: • Sales Demo/POC
• Virtual Learning and Training
Apr 2008 • Skytap emerged from stealth mode
Sep 2008 • Skytap d l
k delivered an API and VPN capability to enable 'hybrid'
d d bl bl 'h b d'
• Skytap launched an ISV Alliance program.
• Skytap announced a worldwide resell agreement with SAVVIS.
Oct 2008 • Skytap announced integration to Visual Studio at PDC.
Nov 2008 • Skytap surpassed the 50 customer mark
Jan 2009 • Skytap named a top 10 start up to watch by Network World;
named a top 10 start up to watch by Network World;
2008 Product of the Year by Tech Target
Mar 2009 • Gartner named Skytap a ‘Cool Vendor 2009’
• Skytap named a InformationWeek Startup 50
named a InformationWeek Startup 50
Why Move My App to the Cloud?
• Variable utilization • D /t t bottlenecks
Dev/test b ttl k
• Unpredictable demand • Robust, scalable
Lower C t
L Costs Time-to-Value
Time to Value
Top Uses for Public Clouds
Source: 451 Group, The Sky’s the Limit, March 2009
Skytap Virtual Lab: How It Works
Arlene Virtual Infrastructure