INTRODUCTION TO L&T
• Larsen & Toubro Limited” is India’s premier technology – driven company
with leading edge capabilities in the fields related to Engineering,
Infrastructure & Basic Industries
• The main functioning L&T workshop is located at Hazira, which is spread
over an area of 73,600sq.mtrs.
• The powai campus of L&T is the oldest facility as well as the most diverse in
terms of employee strength and operations
• The campus is well equipped with facilites for fabrication, machining,
handling & quality control
PRESENT STATUS OF L&T
• L&T From the last 7 Decades Serving Vital Human needs have diversified
into its each and every range of products and projects.
• Ranging from nuclear, hydrocarbon, aerospace, shipbuilding, electrical &
• the company produces precision engineering components and have
mastered in the manufacturing of heat exchangers and pressure vessels.
• L&T now have 23 manufacturing units spread all over the country.
• IT aims to build on its traditional strengths and fulfils its vision of becoming a
world-class company dedicated to professionalism & excellence.
FLIGHT SYSTEM BUISNESS UNIT
• As the name implies, the department is concerned with the production of
testing equipment's for defence & space vehicles.
• This department manufactures the motor casing of the Polar Satellite
Launch Vehicle (PSLV) as well as the booster of the Geo-stationary Satellite
Launch Vehicle (GSLV).
• Current projects undergoing in the department are Reflector deployment
mechanism, Hpersonic wind tunnel system.
• manufacture of Rocket Motor Casings: S200 for GSLV Mk III and S139 for
PSLV & GSLV.
• The group is been divided into 4 sub groups such as Design group, project
management group, marketing & quality control.
INTRODUCTION TO PROJECT
• The group is involved in management and planning of all critical activity
which is required for the production of the job.
• The department is been subdivided into no of teams which deals with
planning of different components to be manufactured from the whole as a
• For eg of a wind tunnel system different group deals with production of
different components individually.
• To study the drawings and to decide the proper sequence for
manufacturing of job.
• To decide the estimated starting and completion date of the project
and to keep a track on project with the help of software’s like MS Project.
• To co-ordinate with the shop floor supervisor and workers and to solve
the problem if any.
• To decide the necessary templates, gauges, tools required for
• To find out the vendor details if a particular material or component is
to be procured from vendor.
• To prepare the detailed plate cutting layout (PCL) & plate cutting
• To prepare the Detailed Process Plan (DPP) for fabrication and machining.
• To manage the necessary inventory with the help of software’s like ERP-LN
• Preparing design change requisition(DCR)
• Checking material requisition (MR).
SUBSYSTEMS OF WIND TUNNEL
• PRESSURE REGULATING SYSTEM
• HEATING SYSTEM
• SETTLING CHAMBER
• TEST SECTION
• CONNECTING DUCT
• VACCUM SPHERES
• Settling chamber is a large area low
velocity section connected to a pipeline
it is connevted to a nozzle
• It is needed to improve the uniformity of
flow entering the nozzle
• The settling chamber is used to reduce
this turbulence in the flow before it enters
• Nozzle are required to accelerate the
flow from low speed to high speed
• The nozzle are assembled with the settling
chamber with the upstream end and with
the test section in the downsteam end
• The air leaving the test section of the High
speed test facility is at high temperatures
(high enough to disallow direct exhaust
into the atmosphere) and is at velocities
at this temperature
• Hence, slowing down and cooling the air
leaving the test section is an absolute
necessity for the safe day-to-day
operation of the tunnel.
• Connecting duct is the interface
between the Diffuser & after cooler. It is
sloping downwards form inlet to outlet to
bridge the height difference between the
outlet of Diffuser & inlet of After cooler.
• . A manhole is provided on the
connecting duct near the after cooler
end to enable any inspection /
Project 1:- Comparing The Cost of The Weld
Through Value Engineering Process
• OBJECTIVE: Determining the total welding cost for each welding process for
Circumseam seam and Longseam weld for a 6500 x 2000 x 16 THICK plate
For flange to shell and total long seam weld.
Progress Achieved : cost calculation completed for
1. Shielded metal arc welding (Smaw)
2. Tungsten arc welding (TIG)
Project 2 :- Design And Load Calculation
For Trolley of Diffuser System
Progress achieved :-
1. Design calculations for screw jack completed
2. Selection of bearing for trolley completed
3. Drawing 3d models in Solidworks