Open-Source Datacenter Conference 2009, Nürnberg
"If there is no struggle,
there is no progress."
TODAY'S TOPICS - GET THINGS DONE
Get in - some words about virtualization (even for you as pros)
Get it run - different ways to manage virtual environments
Get openQRMed - what is it, what can it do for you
Get it seen - openQRM demo and workshop
Get it asked - Q&A time
WHAT IS VIRTUALIZATION
It is not a new technology!
Summarize (computing) resources and run multiple systems or
customers on the same equipment
Already mainframes came along with logical partitions (e.g.
Vmware knew how to establish a market for x86 virtualization
Xen and other Open-Source projects followed
Operation system-level virtualization
- guest systems share one kernel with host system
- guest systems have their own „virtual“ processor
- guest systems „know“ that they are virtual
- guest systems are „applications“ and have their own little world
IS IT A MARKET?
IDC-Report Server Virtualization Survey 2008:
‣ "Over the half of all server spendings will be
In easy words: Hell yeah it is!
WHAT DO YOU DEMAND?
- What counts are results, you don't have time to waste!
- If it is not working your service will not be available
- Reduce complexity and therefor reduce opex
- Be able to record what is happening
LEARN FROM THE BEST
VMware ESX Xen-Server KVM
MS Hyper-V VMware 4sphere Xen
Virtuozzo ESXi QEMU
Parallels SUN xVM VServer
WHAT IS THE CLOUD?
Clouds are hardware-based services
offering compute, network and storage capacity where:
Hardware management is highly abstracted from the
Buyers incur infrastructure costs as variable OPEX
Infrastructure capacity is highly elastic (up or down)
OPENQRM 4.X FEATURES
Fully web-based management solution with intuitive GUI
Ready-made server-images via the image-shelf plugin
Support for different virtualization technologies
Integrated services or
High-availability: "N to 1" fail-over !