Colonia Ulpia Traiana Augusta Dacica Sarmizegetusa was the capital and the largest city of Roman Dacia, later named Ulpia Traiana Sarmizegetusa after the former Dacian capital. With an area of 30 ha and a population between 20.000 - 25.000 and strong fortifications, Ulpia Traiana was the political, administrative and religious centre of Dacia Romana, in the 2nd and 3rd centuries. The city was destroyed by the Goths. Today Ulpia Traiana remains in ruins, with a partly conserved forum, an amphitheatre, and remnants of several temples.
Trajans Bridge or the Bridge of Apollodorus over the Danube was a Roman segmental arch bridge, the first to be built over the lower Danube. For more than a thousand years, it was the longest arch bridge in the world, in terms of both total and span length. The bridge was constructed by the Greek architect Apollodorus of Damascus for the deployment of Roman troops in the war against Dacia, in 105 AD. The structure was 1,135 m in length (the Danube is 800 m wide in that area), 15 m in width, and 19 m in height (measured from the rivers surface). In 1979, Trajans Bridge was added to the Monument of Culture of Exceptional Importance, and in 1983 on Archaeological Sites of Exceptional Importance list, and it is also protected by the Republic of Serbia.
Putna Monastery is a Romanian Orthodox monastery, one of the most important cultural, religious and artistic centers established in medieval Moldavia. It was built and dedicated by Prince Stephen the Great. It houses the tombs of Stephen - nowadays, a place of pilgrimage - , and several of his family members. The icon veils and tombstones are held as fine examples of Moldavian art of the time. Right after Stephen the Great won the battle in which he conquered the Kilia citadel, he began work on the monastery on July 10, 1466 - the church was to be dedicated to the Virgin Mary. The present church was practically rebuilt between 1653 and 1662. Although the building follows the ground plan of a typical 15th and 16th century Moldavian church, it has many architectural and decorative features that are characteristic of 17th century architecture.
Curtea de Argeş is a city on the right bank of the Argeş River, where it flows through a valley of the lower Carpathians , on the railway from Piteşti to the Turnu Roşu Pass. According to tradition it was founded early in the 13th century by Radu Vodă. The city is the site of couple medieval churches (among them the Curtea de Argeş Cathedral). The most important church is the Royal Church built by Basarab I, completely renovated in 2003-2004.
Alba Iulia Fortress, with seven bastions in a stellar shape, was constructed between 1716 ortress and 1735. It is one of the best preserved fortresses in South-East Europe. The fortress has special guards that wear Austrian uniforms. The changing of the guards can be seen every day at 11:30 am. Inside the fortress one may visit The Union Hall with the National Honour Gallery, The National History Museum of Unification, the Princely Palace (Voivodal Palace), the Orthodox Cathedral, the Roman Catholic Cathedral, the most representative building for the Medieval Romanic style in Transylvania), the Batthyaneum Library, the Roman Catholic bishops palace, the Apor Palace, and the University of Alba Iulia.
The Huniad Castle is a Gothic-Renaissance castle in Hunedoara (Transylvania) The castle is a relic of the Hunyadi dynasty. In 1409, the castle was given to John Hunyadis father, Voyk, by Sigismund, king of Hungary, as severance. The castle was restored between 1446 and 1453 by his son John Hunyadi. It was built mainly in Gothic style, but has Renaissance architectural elements. It features tall and strong defense towers, an interior yard and a drawbridge. Built over the site of an older fortification and on a rock above the small river Zlaşti, the castle is a large and imposing building with tall and diversely colored roofs, towers and countless windows and balconies adorned with stone carvings.
Bran Castle, situated near Bran and in the immediate vicinity of Braşov, is a Castle national monument and landmark in Romania. It is known as "Dracula’s Castle" and legend says that it was the home of Vlad the Castle Impaler (Dracula). The castle is now a museum open to tourists, displaying art and furniture.
Peleş Castle is a Neo-Renaissance castle in the Carpathian Mountains, near Sinaia, on an existing medieval route linking Transylvania and Wallachia, built between 1873 and 1914. Its inauguration was held in 1883. Peleş Castle was the first castle in Europe to have central heating and electricity.
The Sculptural Ensemble of Constantin Brâncuşi at Târgu Jiu is a homage to the Romanian heroes of the First World War. The ensemble comprises three sculptures: the Table of Silence, the Gate of the Kiss and the Column of the Infinite, on an axis 1,300 m long, oriented west to east. The Ensemble is considered to be one of the great works of 20th century outdoor sculpture. The monument was commissioned by the National League of Gorj Women to honor those soldiers who had defended Târgu Jiu in 1916 from the forces of the Central Powers. Constantin Brâncuşi (1876-1957) was at the time living in Paris, but welcomed the opportunity to create a large commemorative sculpture in his homeland. He accepted the commission in 1935, but refused to receive payment for it. The Table of Silence is a circular stone table surrounded by twelve seats The Gate of the Kiss, made from marble, features a kiss motif on the gate pillars. The Column of the Infinite stacks 17 rhomboidal modules, with a half-unit at the top. The incomplete top unit is thought to be the element that expresses the concept of the infinite
The Palace of Parliament in Bucharest is a multi-purpose building containing both chambers of the Romanian Parliament. According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the Palace is the worlds largest civilian administrative building, the most expensive and heaviest administrative building. The Palace was designed and nearly completed by the Ceauşescu regime as the seat of political and administrative power and it was named the House of the Republic. The Palace measures 270 m by 240 m, 86 m high, and 92 m underground. It has 1,100 rooms, 2 underground parking garages and is 12 stories tall, with four underground levels currently available for the general public and in use, and another four in different stages of completion. The floor space is 340,000 square meters.