“I want to
do to what
we can do.”
Let’s Dig In
• What would you do if you weren’t afraid?
• Leadership - Imposter Syndrome
• Success vs. Likability - Gender Discount
• “Mean Girls” – Woman to Woman
• Jungle gym not a ladder – What Rules?
• Can you really have it all? Can anyone?
• What if there were:
– No limitations
– No fear of failure
• Ambition and confidence
– Women assess - must be perfect first
– Men don’t second guess they are great
– Starts at birth – continues from there
Leadership – Imposter Syndrome
They will discover I’m not the expert…I don’t know it all
• We all have it! Consistently underestimate our ability
• Watch from the sidelines - paralyzed by fear and doubt
• Not sitting at the table – don’t feel qualified to be there
Learn to inspire leadership, confidence and potential.
Shake the imposter!
Assume the position and reach
Critique and hold back
Accept credit and acknowledgement
Deflect, praise and pass credit
• Nice vs. Success – why the choice
• Success = Criticism and Labels
• It is true – women are treated differently
• Managing reality – increase likability
• Exploring the gender discount
• Creating the Circle of Support – gender neutral
Success & Likability
“Mean Girls” – Woman to Woman
• “Mean girls” isn’t just in high school
• Women are most critical of other women!
• Competition Solution: Push up, more slots
• Proven statistic: Mentoring impacts success
• Women need male and female mentors
• Networking outside of your business vertical
Jungle gym not a ladder
• Not a straight, single path anymore
• Explore, Assess, Repeat
• Develop a plan - Be flexible
• Fake it ‘til you make it! Strategic risk
• Think outside the box
• Explore different paths
Can you really have it all?
• Would you hire 1 person to do 3 jobs?
• Women are worried about losing it all!
• Would you choose work over family?
• Let’s say it out loud - No
• Done is better than perfect
• Create environment of excellence
• Managing, trusting & building a team
Select 2 topics
Preparation required prior to meeting
– Share story, example for discussion
– Review and share as a team
– Outline suggestions from Lean IN coaches
– Facilitated discussion for the group