•Olympics were first started in 1896 and India first
participated in 1900 with a lone athlete
Norman Pritchard winning two medals in athletics
•The nation first sent a team to the Summer Olympic Games in
•The National Olympic Committee for India is the Indian
Olympic Association, and was created in 1927
Fig:1 Norman Gilbert Pritchard
• Indian athletes have won a total of 26(9G+6S+11B) medals
till date, mostly in field hockey.
• Winning 11 medals in 12 Olympics between 1928-1980,
including 6 successive gold medals from 1928–1956.
India’s Performance In Olympics:
Year No.Of Medals Rank Type Of Medal
1900 2 27 Silver
1928 1 23 Gold
1932 1 19 Gold
1936 1 20 Gold
1948 1 22 Gold
1952 1 26 Gold
1956 2 24 Gold, Bronze
1960 1 32 Silver
CHINA’S ROLE IN OLYMPICS:
• The People's Republic of China(PRC) first
competed at the Olympic Games in 1952, at the Summer
Games in Helsinki, Finland.
• That year, the International Olympic Committee (IOC)
allowed both the People’s Republic China(PRC) and the
Republic of China(which recently relocated to Taiwan after
the Chinese Civil War)
• The Republic of China's team withdrew from the Games
on July 17 1952 in response to the International Olympic
Committee’s decision to allow both People’s Republic of
China(PRC) and Republic Of China(ROC)
• The issue was resolved in November 1979, and the
People's Republic of China first appearance at the
Olympic Games after 1952 was the 1984 Olympics in Los
Angeles, United States.
Year Gold Silver Bronze Total Rank
1952 Helsinki 0 0 0 0 ----
1984 Los Angeles 15 8 9 32 4
1988 Seoul 5 11 12 28 11
1992 Barcelona 16 22 16 54 4
1996 Atlanta 16 22 12 50 4
2000 Sydney 28 16 14 58 3
2004 Athens 32 17 14 63 2
2008 Beijing (host) 51 21 28 100 1
2012 London 38 27 23 88 2
Total 201 144 128 473
COMPARING CHINA AND INDIA
IN THE OLYMPICS GAMES
• China has become an Olympic powerhouse while India
• From 1952 to 2012, China won 201 gold medals, while
India won only five.
• The Chinese economic development model has focused on
investment in infrastructure; things like massive
airports, high-speed rail, hundreds of
dams, stadiums, world-class swimming pools, and high-
The Effort That Goes In For An
Olympic Medal In China Is Awesome…!
• 5-6 year old kids are made to stretch their legs, swinging on
the beams, hanging from pairs of rings, bounding across
floor mats during the physically strenuous training sessions.
• Most of the children are orphans i.e., they go in search of
orphans and bring them to their training centres and fine
• The goal for each boy or girl is to out beat USA
and to see their country on top of the medals table.
• There are reports that suggest that the trainers have no
mercy on kids, as they are made to train hard
• Thus we can say that in the coming years China can totally
out beat USA.
• It looks gloom for the Indian’s as it has to think all over
again and give a good amount of share in its GDP for the
•The first and the foremost thing that India should do to
improve in OLYMPICS is to develop its infrastructure and
build as many stadia it can.
•For this to happen it should give a fat share of its GDP
•It should start right away so that 20-30years down the line we
can see our country as one of the dominant performers in