SAFETY MISSION: LEADING DRIVERS TO
“Human error is a factor in over 90% of road
collisions. The actions of managers and drivers
are expressions of their attitude, behavior,
personal choices and the organizational
systems and culture in which they work.
Best practice initiatives MUST ensure that policies
and processes support and encourage the
creation of a ‘crash free culture’.
This approach will provide every opportunity for
people ‘driving for work purposes’ to
demonstrate the correct attitude, make the right
personal choices and behave in the safest way.”
WHY VIRTUAL RISK MANAGER?
1. Create a ‘holistic’ infrastructure for a long term road safety solution.
2. Facilitate safety ‘leadership’ at all tiers of management.
3. Pro-actively identify ‘at-risk’ drivers through the integration of crash &
collision, telematic, license check and other data universes.
4. Identify your safest drivers for recognition and reward.
5. Create risk reduction plans for high risk drivers.
6. Deliver state-of-the-art training and assessment materials directly to
drivers/managers anywhere in the world.
7. Demonstrate ‘due diligence’ to insurers and comply with international best
practice & build brand value as part of a ‘corporate social responsibility’.
8. Exceed international standards for the management of employees who drive
for work purposes, e.g. ANSI Z15/ Corporate Killing/Homicide/ISO 39001.
9. Deliver sustainable ‘returns on investment’ of between 20 and 60% over
three years, factoring in reductions in incidents/collisions, costs associated
with incidents/collisions and the reduction in insurance/workers
compensation costs – Total Cost of Ownership, TCO.
10. Create a platform for ‘continuous improvement’ of the ‘risk & liability
exposures’ faced by:
- persons driving for work purposes.
- your organization.
- the community at large.
Virtual Risk Manager ® helps clients build a road safety MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
into their operating ‘DNA’ to create a CRASH FREE CULTURE ®
Reinforce mission critical, non-negotiable policies and
standards designed to keep drivers (and the wider
community) safe while driving for work purposes.
Subject specific training libraries to
aid best practice awareness and target
Identified risk exposures.
HUB to monitor
training and driver
‘Pro-active’ driver/organization self
assessment & gap analysis – start to
identify most ‘at-risk’ drivers.
‘Pro-active risk management’ of the 10%
most ‘at-risk’ drivers for ‘OneToOne’
coaching and early intervention.
High Risk Response Plan – VRM COACH
CRASH FREE CULTURE:
The Client PRIVACY Notice is an acknowledgement by the driver of the type of information VRM is
collecting, e.g. incident, collision, telematic and license check data, who will view this information, and if any
information is not correct, who to contact.
1. SAFETY CULTURE PACK: (Customized from VRM Templates)
The Client RISK FOUNDATION is a customized safety assessment used to develop drivers’ knowledge and understanding of your fleet
safety policies and applications of those policies in the context of driving for work purposes. Risk Foundation is broken down into three
modules, 15 questions each, covering clients policies and procedures, defensive driving best practice and health & safety while driving.
Risk Foundation is designed to assist you in raising employees’ awareness of critical safety measures, while helping to demonstrate your
duty of care to your drivers.
The Client Safety PLEDGE is a formal acknowledgement of ‘mission critical, non-negotiable policies, procedures and best practices’ that
the company expects from employees driving for work purposes.
A ‘pro-active’ risk assessment tool to help understand the ‘probability’ and ‘likelihood’ of a driver being
involved in an incident /crash. RoadRISK is broken down into three parts, PROFILE, DEFENSIVE
DRIVING and FEEDBACK.
2. RoadRISK®: VALIDATED RISK ASSESSMENT
RoadRISK: Profile is an assessment and understanding of your drivers’ previous three years of driving history,
assessing the driver themselves, the journeys they undertake, and the vehicle used.
RoadRISK: Defensive Driving is an assessment of your driver’s knowledge & understanding of defensive driving best practice.
Independent validation through research undertaken at
Edinburgh Napier and Loughborough universities.
www.virtualriskmanager.net/validation provides more
detail about RoadRISK’ s continuous validation study.
RoadRISK: Feedback provides risk exposure analysis, and best practice information to drivers & their managers.
2. RoadRISK®: LICENSE CHECKING – MVR+
World class License Checking in the US, Canada and the UK.
- Secure driver ‘consent’ and ‘self- certification’ (DOT) management within Virtual Risk Manager.
- Feedback from State/Provincial/Country DMVs in less than 5 minutes in the majority of cases.
- Real time screening of results as they are returned against VRM and client criteria – High/Medium/Low Risk.
- Confirmation of License Status, Restrictions, Suspensions, Revocations and Expiry Date.
- Weekly ‘pro-active’ status on all activity and results obtained.
- Uniform ‘Violation Codes’ across the USA/Canada and the UK.
- Pro-active ‘Driver Risk Monitoring’ in those states offering real time updates in between the annual ‘pull’.
- FCRA/PIPEDA – Adverse Action Management Services – USA & Canada.
- Can be combined with incident, collision, CSA and telematics data for enhanced risk management – see
DriverINDEX® – Slide 7.
- Dedicated ‘License Checking Specialists’ to help manage clients programs and monitor regulations.
Virtual Risk Manager Performance Management System
PATENTED with the US Trademarks and Patent Office: 6,714,894.
3. DriverINDEX®: ALL DRIVER EVENTS in ONE SYSTEM!
• Facilitate Driver/Manager Road Safety discussion – the ‘power is in the conversation!!’
• Identify top 10% most ‘at-risk’ drivers for further support, coaching and leadership.
• ‘Recognize’ low risk risk/excellent drivers.
ACTIONS associated with DriverINDEX ® that INFLUENCE and CHANGE driver behavior.
• RiskCOACH ® ‘risk reduction’ training; OneToOne ® Performance Review; POST COLLISION COACHING, (PCC); COMMENTARY
DRIVE, (CD); High Risk Response Plan: Behind The Wheel, (BTW), VRM COACH ®
Ranks drivers from Most ‘At-Risk’ to Low
Risk/Excellent based on DriverINDEX value
(Includes data from every ‘data universe’
clients supply to VRM)
Link to 6 month graphical trend of individual
driver performance – improving, static or
See Next Slide
RoadRISK® + License Check/Fines – Collision/incident + VRM Coach® Telematics + Other Objective
Data Universes = DriverINDEX®
Ranks drivers from Most ‘At-
Risk’ to Low Risk/ Excellent
based on DriverINDEX value
(Includes data from every ‘data
universe’ clients supply to VRM)
MOST Active ‘At-Risk’
Drivers within the last:
Link to 6 month
graphical trend of
improving, static or
Link to Driver Performance Review
to view MVRs, Incident, Collision,
VRMC Telematic data universes.
Links to OneToOne ® , PIC, CD and
VRMC Intervention Tools.
3. DriverINDEX®: ALL-IN-ONE PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
3. DriverINDEX®: HIGH RISK RESPONSE PLAN: PCC, CD, VRMC & OneToOne®
• Re-energize the DRIVER SAFETY message and agree continuous improvements goals.
• Review your drivers risk profile in detail and explore the causes related to their risk rating.
• Develop and agree any relevant behavioral or process changes for safer driving.
• High level view of all Virtual Risk
• Results of your State/Country/Province
license checking program.
• The identity of your low, medium and
high risk drivers based on their collision
& license check data.
• Pro-active risk reduction tools – PCC/
CD/ OneToOne/ VRMC.
• Recognition opportunities for your low
• Post collision best practice guides.
WARNING: Virtual Risk Manager contains
Personally Identifiable Information (PII).
Please handle the data according to privacy
requirements as you would handle other
employee personal information.
The most effective technique to use during
a PCC/ CD/ OneToOne/ VRMC discussion is
for you to lead and structure the
conversation with the use of ‘open’
Open questions that start with WHO, WHAT,
WHERE, WHY, WHEN, WHICH and HOW
facilitate conversation, allow your drivers to
explore ‘causation factors’, as well as
develop their own solutions to risks.
• VRM Full System Guide
• Support Videos:
- OneToOne Overview
- OneToOne in Action
Leading the development of a crash free
culture is an ONGOING process and long
term commitment which incorporates the
• Create crash free objectives.
• Set a good example – ‘walk the talk’.
• Prioritize drivers at risk.
• Reinforce SAFE DRIVING message.
• Monitor activity/participation.
• Review collisions & set targets.
• Include safety performance in 6 / 12
month performance review.
• Recognize excellent/crash free driving.
• Ensure compliance with Standards,
Policies and VRM.
• Conduct PIC, CD, OneToOne and VRMC
System Process Leadership
• PIC/ CD/ OneToOne & VRMC are NOT disciplinary processes.
• Changing in-grained behaviors and in turn habits requires STRONG leadership – “THE POWER IS IN THE CONVERSATION”.
• ‘RISK’ - means an assessment of the ‘PROBABILITY’ or ‘LIKELIHOOD’ of a driver being involved in a road traffic collision.
3. DriverINDEX®: HIGH RISK RESPONSE PLAN: VRM COACH
HAVE YOU EVER THOUGHT YOU COULD?
1. Provide your drivers with a PERSONAL DRIVING INSTRUCTOR to help them
MANAGE THEIR BEHAVIORS and CHANGE THEIR HABITS before they get into trouble?
2. Integrate the driving instructors feedback with other driver performance
data such as details of a drivers INCIDENTS, COLLISIONS and LICENSE CHECK (MVR)
VIOATIONS to provide further support to your most at risk drivers?
3. At the same time be able to monitor VEHICLE HEALTH, LOCATION and TRIP DETAILS?
INTRODUCING - VIRTUAL RISK MANAGER: COACH
VIRTUAL RISK MANAGER + TELEMATICS = VRM COACH
3. DriverINDEX®: HIGH RISK RESPONSE PLAN: VRM COACH
SAFETY: Incident history
SAFETY: Collision history
SAFETY: License Check/Fines history
SAFETY: Harsh Acceleration
SAFETY: Harsh Braking
SAFETY: Harsh Cornering
SAFETY: Threshold Speed
SAFETY: Speed Vs Speed Limit of the Road
SAFETY: Seatbelt usage (vehicle dependent)
SAFETY: Reversing (vehicle dependent)
ECO: % of time idling/Fuel Usage
ECO: Over revving (> 3,500 rpm)
COMBINED: Aggressive driving 100
60-70% of Drivers
typically are Very Low
1-3 % of Drivers typically
Very High Risk
3-10 % of Drivers typically
10-30 % of Drivers
typically Low Risk
“THE OPPORTUNITY TO CREATE A CRASH FREE CULTURE
JUST CHANGED FOREVER”
3. DriverINDEX®: HIGH RISK RESPONSE PLAN: VRM COACH
Targeted deployment across the most ‘AT-RISK’ 10% of your drivers
based on their DriverINDEX® Risk Rating OR 100% Deployment.
Monthly Driver/Manager VRMC Intervention Tool to discuss most
‘at-risk’ behaviors and how to change them.
Weekly My Telematics Feedback Report to help driver’s identify
and benchmark ‘at-risk’ behaviors AND Managers COACH.
By identifying high risk driver behavior and
providing a framework (CULTURE) to
improve that behavior, you COULD reduce
vehicle crash costs by 15-20% in 12-18
4. RiskCOACH®: ONLINE TRAINING AND BEST PRACTICE LIBRARY
Subject specific best practice training library and guides for Drivers and Managers – country/region, language
and culture specific.
For R.O.a.D Users: Riders, Operators & Driver (Car and Commercial)
RiskCOACH: Attitude, Eco-Driving, Driving While Distracted, Avoiding Damage While Parked, Blind Spots, Rear End Collisions,
Spouse/Domestic Partner, Bad Weather, Act Now, Fatigue, Controlling Emotions, Decision Making, DUI/DWI, Hours of Service, Vehicle
Inspections, Lights & Tires, Lift Gate, Low Speed Maneuvering & Backing, Blind Spots & Mirrors, Cold Plate, CSA, DOT Inspections, Two
Wheeler & Sharing the Road, and Lift Truck/Warehouse Safety. (New Titles regularly – check for complete listing)
OBJECTIVES OF RiskCOACH®
• Best practice awareness training to re-energize and inform – ALL Driver’s.
• Targeted training for known risk exposures – speeding, drunk-driving, fatigue etc.
• Targeted training for High Risk Drivers & ‘Dear Driver’ – Communications Plans.
4. RiskCOACH®: ONLINE TRAINING AND CONTINUOUS EDUCATION
5. VRM ANALYTICS®: MONTHLY, QUARTERLY & ANNUALY
Monthly/Quarterly & Annual Analytics – CPMM, IPMM, IncPMM, License, Collision, Incident,
Country/Division Scorecards, Monthly Leadership ‘Calls to Action’, Benchmarks. Global crash,
incident and near miss (new 2016) reporting systems.
FRIENDS AND FAMILY PROGRAMS®: ARRIVE ALIVE
Spouses/domestic partners, friends,
family and community programs
create enormous opportunities for
VRM Clients to:
• Influence those around your driver’s,
who, might in turn ‘influence’ your
• Influence the community at large.
• Increase and ‘sustain’ a clients ‘return
on investment’, ROI.
• Build brand value as part of a
‘corporate social responsibility’.
Being socially responsible, doing the
right thing for the local, national and
global community, is an essential part
of any businesses long term goals. At
eDriving FLEET we strive to do the
right thing for our customers and
channel partners, for the environment,
in the community and for our Team
• IDS work with BT and TNT won the Prince Michael Road Safety Award in 2004.
• Zurich wins Risk and Insurance’s Innovator award at the 2011 Risk and Insurance Awards
• BT wins the Prince Michael International Road Safety Award in 2011 for work-related motor risk management program
• McCain wins Fork Lift Truck Association Safe Site Award 2012
• Pfizer, Nestlé Mexico, Royal Mail and Iron Mountain were recognized as the ‘BEST OF THE BEST’ at the Fleet Safety Forum in
2012 for their Driver Safety Programs
• ASDA (Wal-Mart), BT, E.ON all received awards at the 2013 Brake Awards
• Nestlé wins the Fleet Europe International Fleet Safety Award in 2013 including International Fleet Safety Award, International
Fleet Manager of the Year Award, and International Green Award
• ASDA (Wal-Mart) wins the Prince Michael Road Safety Award in 2013
• BT, E.ON and Nestlé were honoured at the Brake’s Fleet Safety Awards in 2014
• Nestlé receives the NAFA 2014 Excellence in Corporate Fleet Safety Award
• Nestlé wins Prince Michael of Kent Road Safety Award, December 2014
• Iron Mountain & Transport for London win Fleet News Award April 2015
• Johnson & Johnson, Transport for London and Iron Mountain recognized at October 2015 Brake Awards
THOUGHT LEADERSHIP: 20 YEARS AND STILL LEARNING!!
On the 9th December 2014 His Royal
Highness Prince Michael of Kent presented
'The Nestlé Global Road Safety Program' with
an award at his Annual Awards Luncheon
Ceremony held at The Savoy, London.
Globally, IDS IT infrastructure includes DEDICATED SERVERS in the UK & USA. Working with our global IT Partners, NTT, the
IDS network can be expanded very easily and exponentially as required. Our Operations Headquarters in Great Britain enjoys
dedicated communication lines in and out of the building for the sole use of eDriving. From this location we have a direct link to the
UK Government Licensing Authority (DVLA), American Driving Records, ADR, for US and Canadian License Checks and vendor
partners all over the globe consolidating ‘performance data’ into ONE SYSTEM on behalf of our clients.
DATA PROTECTION & SECURITY:
US Headquarters, New JerseyUK Headquarters, West Yorkshire
eDRIVING COMPANY CULTURE – integrity, professionalism, duty of care, quality management.
‘POWER OF ONE’ – one Management Information System – training, incident, collision, license check, telematic and other data
‘universes’ ALL working together in the VRM performance management system.
VRM MANAGERS TOOLBOX – Empowering Managers to “LEAD THEIR DRIVERS TO SAFETY”.
VRM ‘CIRCLE OF LIFE’ FLEXIBILITY – ability for clients to match their journey plan to their objectives.
GLOBAL FOOTPRINT – 94 countries and 40 languages.
DATA PRIVACY AND SECURITY – over 15 years experience working across Europe and other high profile ‘privacy’ nations
combined with state of the art dedicated server banks based in the UK/USA – ISO 27001 Certified.
FLEET RISK MANAGEMENT INNOVATOR – first defensive driving CD-ROM, WWW, Peer Reviewed Research, Validated Risk
Assessment (RoadRISK), USA Patent (Risk Reduction), Multi Lingual MIS, International Awards, VRM COACH high risk response
plan – ongoing pursuit of excellence.
THOUGHT LEADERSHIP AND THE VRM BENCHMARKING FAMILY – sharing best practice, research and opportunity for the
greater good with all IDS clients.
‘ALL IN’ CUSTOMER SERVICE PHILOSOPHY – ask our customers!!!
WHY WORK WITH eDRIVING FLEET?: