Stress & Saturation
• 98% of our brain is used all the time
• 2% extra are enough to saturate our senses
• We are not multitasks (sorry, not even you, ladies!)
• This is why illusionists and pickpockets
are constantly talking or distracting us
Wow! How can he…
• An attempt to explain!
• He forced the choice (explained later)
• Phone switched (or stolen beforehand)
• Good story – no time to think
• Probably some accomplices
• There’s no seat 642 in this Hall!!!
• Because there’s no 0 nor 1 in a card deck!
Jul 3rd 1988 – Iran Air Flight 655 shot down
- Helicopter chasing gun boats in the Gulf
- Helicopter under fire
- Intercept the gun boats (unaware they
were into Iranian waters)
- Air traffic became muddled
- Identified Iran Air A320 as attacking F14
- 2 radio guided missiles shot
- 290 passengers killed
Stress, impact & testing
• This damn padlock!!!
• Cancel vs. Ignore
Android phone = Mail APP
Annuler = Cancel = do nothing
Ignorer = Ignore = discard mail
Enreg. = keep as draft
What does a good story mean?
• Traditional = user / technical requirements
• Agile = user stories
• Development / BPMN = use cases
• Security = hacking via phishing and social
• Industry = defined processes
• Let’s hack your account
• Let’s lock you out in 2 minutes
What to do
• Prioritize your information
• Ex. Google has hundreds of (progressive) links
• Make actions usable
• Software wizards = step-by-step process
• FAQs & Tutorials (games)
• Keep users under control…give them control
Google…simple? Yeah, right!
Google Scholar? – Google Docs?
It is a question of Level
Quick change Guided tour
Sorry only 49 shades today!
Attention blindness / Blindness to change
• We are less good than we think we are
• We can drive a car without thinking on the way or how to drive
• Some of us are better in catching details (some forms of autism)
• Some train and develop (air controlers)
• We lack comprehensive view
• We are naturally attracted by some details
• Peripheral vision is better (danger)
than front vision
• Loss of (developper) attention or capacity to see the
• bugs introduced
• Loss of (user) attention or capacity to see the whole
• Invisible ads on the right side of the page
• Focus on the sight (mimic, mirror neurones…)
• Animated ads on web pages are seen as distracting /
How we read web pages
• 2,6 s. scan then focusing on a POI
• 20% words read
• 200 pixels = visual scan width
• 50% tablet users want
news = photo + title
Look at me straight in the Eyes
• We are naturally attracted by some…details
• It is called joint attention
• Product positionning is essential!
Just another one for pleasure
At first we will just not care about what is written here because most of you will not even take the time to read it! I can even write damn
insults or typpposs and be ignored
This is already better!
Now you see it!
• Only 5% of the population has « high »
(SOURCE: OECD study « Skills Matter » 2011-2015
based upon 215,942 people in 33 countries)
• « High » means e.g.
• schedule a meeting room in a scheduling application
• using information contained in several email
• Implicit problem statement involving multiple steps
and multiple constraints
• We are not our users!!!
• DEVELOPERS are NOT USERS
• We don’t know better, sorry!
For loosing weight Diet 1
No need to loose weight
That’s more Me
I can reach that
It’s so brilliant!!!
• Just tune up our home page a little bit
+ + =
Would you use such a service?
• You force a binary choice
= more comfortable
• You don’t think outside the box
= there might be a third option
but you don’t see it
= your choices are reduced
The prediction always comes true
• 1 = « PUSH » one card
• If chosen STOP
• If not chosen PUSH twice more
• Discard or Keep = keep the Ace
• From 17% to 33%
• 2 = « TAKE » one card
• If chosen STOP
• If not chosen TAKE one more
• Discard or Keep
• 3 = « PUT ASIDE » one card
• Discard or Keep
21 3 4 5
A/B vs. Usability test
• What is the best price?
• What action generates more clicks?
• What is the best design?
• What layout makes more sales?
• What is the most efficient campaign?
• Why are people not using my application /
• Why do they click on this link / page?
• Where are people blocked?
• Why don’t people buy?
• What does work best and why?