Improving the E-commerce Experience with the Internet of Things (IoT)
How IoT Can Improve the Ecommerce Experience
• The Internet of Things (IoT) is the inter-connection, inventory and management of all
internet-connected devices, uniquely identified through tools like RFID, QR codes
and digital watermarking.
• We’re already seeing devices of all kinds being connected to the internet to share
information and keep the right people updated.
• By using IoT enabled devices and tools, you can tag and track all your products.
• But that’s not all, so let’s have a look at some ways you can really use this technology
to your advantage…
• Inventories are tracked by the use of ERP systems which are capable of reconciling
the stock in the warehouse with the ones sold and then send notifications to
vendors to replenish the stock.
• You can manage your inventories real-time. Equipped with RFID tags and sensors
the information about your incoming and outgoing stocks can be tracked without
human intervention. Also, the information such as the product type, manufacturer’s
name, batch IDs of products, expiry date if any can be automatically fed into your
ERP system real-time.
• Real-time tracking has been possible for a long time. With the use of IoT enabled
detectors, this process can have the added capability of managing things like the
route and speed that your logistics crew are allowed to handle.
• While you want to get the nitty-gritties on your logistics, your customer only has
one question, “When exactly will my order be delivered?” With IoT, you can make it
happen. This is going to make customers get a much better shopping experience
and increases brand loyalty.
• Personalization is definitely more important than ever before. With IoT you can do
two things for personalizing the customer experience – customized offers and
customized delivery times.
• Your customer’s feedback time is going to be near instantaneous, and you can
leverage this to immediately relay customized offers to them.
• IoT offers greater automation of the delivery process and as such simplifies the
management of logistics, which in turn streamlines customized delivery
• Tracking the various warranty periods on all the different products is laborious. With
IoT updating the information (purchase date and warranty period), youshould be
able to setup system notifications and automate the sending of warranty extension
• This will work great even for tracking the validity and duration of any Annual
Maintenance Contracts (AMCs) you have with customers.
• By notifying your customers to such events, you’ll be increasing customer
satisfaction, brand loyalty, and increasing revenues through after sales services.
• The IoT is already creating an environment that will benefit everyone in becoming
• As an ecommerce vendor in an industry where that is paramount, accommodating
and planning for IoT will soon become a mandate.