Unboxed Consulting Middle East and Africa Credentials www.un-boxed.me
• Ever felt the lack of good quality boutique agencies in the region?
• Ever wished for “hands-on” senior management to work on ALL the stages of
your project – not just show up at the presentation…
• The MENA region has a tremendous dearth of high quality research boutiques
• Unboxed was created with this simple need gap in mind
• Our motto? ‘Great heads, minus the overheads’.
• Our consultants have a minimum of 5 years experience – mandatory for
managing any project.
• A fresh, street-smart, practical approach to research with the basics rooted in
• Project Consultants with Minimum of 5 years experience
• Small core team – knows the client’s business
• Senior researcher on the ground for every project
• Challenging in our outlook, not taking
anything at face value
• Extensive experience in large multi-
nationals – so we know what to avoid
Some examples of work we are doing…
Consumer Labs in Sudan Online media usability research
• Concept – Product evaluation and fit – • For a technology manufacturer
• Looking at three ends of the spectrum
• Concept sort and tweaking + product – Cutting edge/ advanced internet
preparation and evaluation users who are actively into social
• This product is the ‘gold standard’ for – Mid range consumers who upload
its own category in this market and download a variety of things
on their phones and the internet –
• A large home-kitchen set up where – Low end savvy – do basic
multiple sets of women can functions with their online and
comfortably prepare and use the phone capabilities
product as they are being observed,
interviewed and photographed. Among both youth and the slightly
Some examples of work we are doing…
Online qualitative groups • Other studies pitched for
• Group Discussions on a specialised
online platform with young women in – Creating social change on financial
Saudi habits by understanding culture
• Ensuring complete anonymity to aid
open conversations on certain topics – Line strategy for a market leading
that could be considered taboo brand that is losing share steadily
• Moderated in Arabic from Dubai due to changing market and
Recent studies done
• Online interaction and meeting among Saudi males and females in a virtual world
• Strategic pack change for a globally important brand for a premium brand
• Understanding the male – female interaction and ‘games’ across key Arabic markets –
among conservative to very liberal consumers to help set advertising boundaries
• Understanding the impact of the global downturn on consumer habits – in the financial
Our Reach - Geography
• Our experience in the region is over a
• Our Reach? The ME-NA region:
– All of the GCC
– The Levant – Lebanon, Syria, Jordan
– North Africa – Egypt, Sudan, Morocco,
• Coverage: 7 markets with KSA for both qualitative and
• 6 moderators (male and female) with a combined
experience of a wide range of categories and
• Fieldwork supervised by senior management with over
14 years field experience in KSA
• Access to savvy, modern, young upper-class Saudi men
• Coverage: Top 9 cities for both qualitative and quantitative
• Capability of web-casting from the venue in Tehran for Iran
simultaneous viewing of groups from anywhere in the
• The research hub for the company
• Full strength fieldwork capabilities including CATI
UAE • Multiple nationalities
• Extensive bank of native language-speaking moderators
both male and female
• Ability to recruit all nationalities and social classes
• Fieldwork hubs in Egypt (for North Africa) and
Jordan (for the Levant) to manage regional studies Regional
Our Expertise – Sectors / Types of work
• Across a variety of categories – FMCG, Finance, Services,
Health/ Pharma, Government, Technology, Media
• We span the board
– Exploratory cultural understanding
– Needs research
– Development and testing of Product/ Positioning/ Packaging/ Communication
– Usage and Attitude
– Product – Concept Tests
– Tracking Studies
Our Reach – Consumer Profile
Want to Reach :
• Cutting Edge youth in Saudi Arabia? • Financial / FMCG / Advertising audiences?
• Middle Class housewives in Egypt? • Online users / Bloggers / Chatters / Texters?
• Small and Medium business or Corporates in • Luxury brand users?
UAE? • 4x4 Enthusiasts to budget car owners?
• High Net-worth individuals in Qatar?
• Tweens in Oman?
We can reach these and beyond…
• Social Class A / B / C1C2 / DE in Iran?
• Car buyers in India?
Our experience and capabilities extend to a wide array of
services and methodologies
Qualitative Training and
Focus Group Discussions
• Multicultural native language moderators – Arabic,
Farsi, Hindi, French and Berber
• Can handle different Arabic Dialects - Khaleeji,
• Trained moderators who go beyond the brief and
dig into that elusive insight for the brand
• Well versed with rapport building and adept at
different projective techniques from basic to NLP,
Collage making and Brand Worlds
• We use a mix of hotels with CCTV, focus group
facilities and coffee shops/restaurants depending
on the consumer profile and comfort
• Apart from viewing and simultaneous translation
into English, the client can listen in - via telephone
or the web (select locations)
• Meeting and interviewing high-profile or hard to
get respondents is what we thrive on
• We can easily reach :
– Ultra High net worth individuals
– B2B type of customers
– Low penetration categories
– Opinion leaders, media personnel or
– Socially Sensitive topics interviews are
something we do regularly – even in
difficult markets like Saudi Arabia and
• Nothing beats meeting the consumer in their own
environment - we specialise in Ethnography and have
spent time ranging from a couple of hours to a couple of
days with consumers for a variety of clients
• Our 'near respondent' profile moderators blend in with
the consumer as much as possible.
• Applications include
– Accompanied shopping
– Slice of life analysis
– Brand usage observation
– Television viewing habits
– Product preparation/ usage
– General cultural understanding
Consumer Contact Programme
New Marketing Director? New Target market? Want to go into a Saudi home?
Hang out with teens? Have lunch with a business owner?
• We can help setup a consumer contact program for you - ranging from a
one off experience for new comers to this region to an ongoing journey to
understand customers better
• We have, for multi-national clients, organised yearly programs for the brand
teams to be in touch with their customers
• We have had male clients being able to visit Saudi homes (sorry to burst the
myth!) and spend time chatting with housewives
• We have spent hours playing with children to understand what makes them
As they say - if u want to see how lions behave – don’t go to the zoo!!!
Go to the jungle…
Online Desk Research
• We do a variety of online research
including basic desk research, trend
spotting, blog trawling and Bulletin Board
• We have met youth online and in virtual
worlds to understand their habits and
• Online discussions – either with a set of
respondents or one on one help break
geographical and access barriers
• We have female moderators who are
internet savvy and can interact with
• Rely on us for a wide ranging set of Quantitative Research options. Our
robust field team is capable of handling fieldwork and deliver to you
cleaned data in the format you desire
• U&A Studies
• Advertising Testing
• Product Tests
• Customer Satisfaction work
• Brand Tracking
• Pricing Research
to name a few
• Our field is locally based in-market and our supervisors have 4+ years of
experience in managing small and large scale regional projects
Computer/ Phone Aided Interviews
• CATI / CAPI / PATI (!) we can do it all
We have capabilities of doing telephone based work
And in some cases calling from a neighbouring
countries works better than incurring F2F costs
• Ask us about our mystery shopping program
• We can conduct mystery shops for a variety of
product categories and consumer types
• Reporting can be tailored to be online for ongoing and
• The ‘shopping’ can vary from basic observation to
detailed interactions including purchase
• Can be done physically, over the phone or even through
website (customer support)
• We have native language speakers from various SEC
profiles – both male and female, young and old
Training and Facilitation
We are ILM approved – one of the leading training institutes from the UK which
conducts training and leadership courses worldwide
Need someone to:
• Train researchers in Qualitative techniques including Moderation, Body language,
analysis, proposal writing, Projective Techniques?
(Junior to Mid-management)
• Help create cutting edge PowerPoint presentations?
• Help uncover the potential of technology in research and presentations?
• Run a brainstorming workshop?
• Do a brand activation session?
We are here to help!
Our Clients… so far!
• In our current and previous avatars we have serviced…
• Blah blah blah!!! You have seen these client
testimonials...... we have not put any – don’t want to
upset the ones who are not put up here and might have
wanted some airtime.
• For the founder's profile, link on the icon on the left.
• Unboxed is the brainchild of Dipen Mehta, am ve k engineer who
strayed into market research almost two decades ago and found his calling.
• An avid technophile, he shatters many myths about qualitative
• Dipen’s 18 years of research experience have been across India, the Middle
East & North Africa and the Pacific Islands.
• In the Middle East, he has held senior management positions at ACNielsen,
been a board member and qualitative director at TNS and a partner and
Director at Quest Consulting.
• Dipen has presented a variety of papers at global conferences on topics as
diverse as marketing in the Middle East, cultural understand, use of
technology in presentations, telecom and Islamic finance.
• He has also chaired the Annual ESOMAR Conference in Barcelona in 2005
and has been on the programme committee.
• He is also a trainer and has conducted workshops, brain-storming and
training sessions on a variety of topics including Brand building, Technology
and Presentations, setting KPI’s, Qualitative research and Marketing.