ELLUMINATE/CCC Conference Opening Script [Start recording…] Welcome to the ________ Webinar for DAY, MONTH, YEAR [sponsored by]. [If applicable] Today’s guests come to us from _______ in ____, ___. I will introduce them shortly, but first I want to go over a few details about this [Elluminate/CCC Confer] session for those who are new to [Elluminate/CCC Confer].DetailsAt the upper left of your screen, you should see the Participants window, which lists the participants in this session. You can use the icons underneath this window to:Raise your hand if you have a question or comment and you wish to speakThere are also happy and sad faces and an applaud icon Below the Participants window is the Chat window to the center-left of this screen where you can type a question or comment into the box at any time. You can also send a private message to another participant at any time, but please be aware that moderators can see all private messages.Below the chat area is the Audio window in the bottom left of the screen. Click on the raised your hand button to let us know you would like to speak. You can use a head set or your phone for audio chat. If you are using a microphone and have been recognized to speak, Click the button with the microphone on it and begin speaking. Remember to click the button again when you finish speaking so that someone else can have a turn. You can control your mic and volume levels with the sliders. And if you are having trouble with your headset or microphone, you can access the Audio Setup Wizard from the Tools menu on the top toolbar. From Tools, select Audio, and then Audio Setup Wizard, and follow the on-screen instructions.[CCC Confer ONLY] If you are using the telephone to speak, Click on the phone handset below the microphone and audio volume sliders. The call-number and pin will then appear in a dialog box.
CCCOER Advisory Oct 16, 2013
advancing formal and informal learning through the
worldwide sharing and use of free, open, high-quality
education materials organized as courses.
CCCOER Advisory Meeting
Oct 16, 2013, 2:00 pm Eastern
Collaborate Window Overview
Audio & Video
Tech Support available at:
1-760-744-1150 ext. 1537, 1554
• Welcome New Members
– TAACCCT and OCWC Global 2014
• Maricopa College District OER Action Plan
– Paul Golisch, OER Districtwide Co-Chair
• American Public University OER Collection
– Molly Fischer, Acquisitions and Sarah
OER Research Update
Fall Conferences and Events
Fall CCCOER Webinars
Next Meeting: November 20
Welcome New Members
• Tri-C Cuyahoga College, Ohio
• American Public University System
• Michigan Community College
Association Virtual Campus
Please introduce yourself and your OER
– Una Daly, Community College Outreach Director at Open
– James Glapa-Grossklag, President of CCCOER Advisory
Board; Dean, College of Canyons
• TAACCCT Wave 3
announced Sept 18
- $474 million grants
• OCWC board meeting
in Nairobi, Nov 18-20.
• OCWC Global 2014 proposals due Dec 1
Maricopa College District
Dean of Information Technology
Co-Chair OER Committee
Goal: Save MCCCD Students
$5 Million in 5 Years
Lisa Young, Scottsdale CC
Paul Golisch, Paradise Valley CC
Seven Outcomes to Support the
1. OER strategic steering team.
1. Determine the current OER state in MCCCD.
2. Standards and guidelines for development
3. Pilot 3-5 high enrollment courses.
4. Assess effectiveness and impact of the OER
5. Support the integration and sustainability of
6. Connections with national OER
Current Status of Maricopa Millions Project
1. Steering team has met 4 times.
• Strategic plan
• Call for proposals
• Determining savings
• Promotional materials
a. Golf shirts
b. Flash drives
c. Lanyards? Stickers? Pens?
2. Lisa, Paul, and James Sousa have …
• Demos at colleges
• Scheduled student focus groups
• Conference presentations
• Current state of OER in MCCCD
• Rough draft of MM Project web site
DRAFT – www.maricopa.edu/oer - DRAFT
Should go live by Nov 1
FAQs about the Project?
How will OER courses be defined for
cost” for materials
“Low cost” for materials (input from students)
How will the courses be developed?
teams of 3 (three different colleges)
Small stipend – $2500 each
Training and support, peer review
Mandatory adoption by faculty?
NO – 20% adoption in top 15 courses is our unofficial
American Public University
Production Editor/Online Librarian
with Sarah Canfield Fuller, Acquisitions Editor
American Public University ePress
The American Public University System (APUS) is a for-profit, online
learning institution of higher education.
• Composed of the American Military University (founded 1991) and the
American Public University (founded 2002)
• Serves over 115,000 students, 58% of whom are active duty military
• 87 degree programs and 86 certificate programs, emphasizing educating the
military and public service communities
• Regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central
Association of Colleges and Schools
All undergraduate students have their course material costs
covered by the APUS Undergraduate Book Grant, yet tuition at
APUS has not increased since 2002. Generally, college textbook
prices have increased about 85% in that timeframe.
APUS’s Electronic Course Material, ePress, and Library Groups have employed 3
methods to save the APUS Undergraduate Book Grant:
1. Publisher negotiations/conversions to e-books
2. Incentivized open web/library conversions, using Online Library course guides
(facilitated by the ePress)
3. APUS ePress course material publications
For efforts made in 2012,
1. Encouraging use of e-books from preferred publishers will save APUS $3
2. Incentivized open web/library conversions will save an approximate $2.8
million in material costs annually (30 conversions, $1,000 incentive per
conversion, plus possible $250 librarian stipend)
3. ePress course material publications will save nearly $900,000 annually.
• So far in 2013, the ePress has facilitated an additional 13 open web/library
material conversions for an additional $475,000 in annual savings.
• Per-student undergraduate material costs now under $40.
Course materials available under a CC-BY-NC-SA license at
• Effectiveness in Writing (ENGL102)
• Research, Analysis, and Writing (COLL300)
• Introduction to Music Appreciation (MUSI200)
• Three-volume World Literature Anthology: Through the Renaissance
• Public Policy (POLS410)
“Test Run” e-book in draft form through Booktype, not yet publicly available
• The Yellow Wallpaper: http://apusepress.booktype.pro/the-yellowwallpaper/_draft/_v/1.0/the-yellow-wallpaper-text/
Upcoming publications (anthologies with faculty-authored framing content):
• African-American Literature Through the Harlem Renaissance
• Arthurian Legends
• Philosophy of Science
Questions on our publications or our course materials
conversions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Follow us on social media for updates and new
OER Research Hub
Community College Collaboration
• Use of OER leads to critical reflection with
evidence of improvement in practice.
• Participation in OER pilots leads to policy change
at institutional level.
• Open education models lead to more equitable
access to education
• OER adoption at institutional level leads to
financial benefits for students and/or institutions
OER Research Hub
• Opportunity to participate
– Faculty Surveys available now
– Admin. Interviews (online & in-person)
• West coast & Utah late October/early Nov
• Florida mid-February
– Generic Survey not tracked by
CCCOER Case Studies
• Questionnaires coming …
– What open educational projects is your institution
involved in? Original Motivation?
– What has been the impact on your institution,
professional practices, and/or students?
– What is the evolution of open education at your
institution? Sustainability and Growth plans?
Meet up at Fall Conferences
Ohio Affordable Textbook Summit
Cleveland, OH Sept 27
Association for Advancement of
Computing in Education (AACE)
Mid-South Distance Learning Conf
Foothill Community College Tech
Los Altos, CA
San Jose State Open Access
San Jose, CA
OPEN ED 2013
Park City, UT
San Jose, CA
(Wed, noon PT, 3:00 ET)
• 10/30 Open Textbook: Adoption & Sustainability
- California State University, Florida Virtual Campus, &
British Columbia Open Textbook Project
• 11/13 Fostering Open Policy at Your Campus
– Maricopa District, Tacoma College, & Creative
• 12/11 California Community Colleges Share It
Forward with CC-BY
– Creative Commons, California Community Colleges
Thank you for participating!
• Next Advisory Meeting:
Wed, November 20, 2:00 pm (EST)