STUDENTS INDUSTRIAL WORK EXPERIENCE SCHEME (SIWES)
RIVERS STATE MINISTRY OF ENVIRONMENT,
DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT AND TOXICOLOGY
COLLEGE OF NATURAL RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENTAL
MICHEAL OKPARA UNIVERSITY OF AGRICULTURE, UMUDIKE
MR KANU CHIDOZIE
DEPARTMENT OF INSPECTORATE AND
There are 5 units in the department of
inspectorate and enforcement. They are;
• 1. Facility inspection unit
• 2. Emergency oil spill unit
• 3. Cleanup and remediation unit
• 4. Training and statistics and record unit
• 5. Environmental consultant accreditation unit
OIL SPILL UNIT
• If a spill is rejected by closed companies, the
ministry takes it as referee and
• visit the affected site, take samples and test
for finger print.
JOINT INVESTIGATION UNIT
• They response to emergency oil spill, which can be
carried out by the regulatory bodies such as
National Oil Spill Detection Regulatory Agency
(NOSDRA), Representative from the Ministry of
Environment, Representative from the Department
of Petroleum Resources (DPR), the HSE
representative from the oil company, Security
personnel, An indigene from the polluted
community. It is sometimes collectively known as
Joint Investigation Visit OR Team.
PURPOSE OF JIV AND CAUSES OF OIL
• Purpose of JIV
• 1. To confirmed oil spill occurrence in a particular community.
• 2. The cause of incidence.
• 3. To know the volume of spill on the area impacted.
• Giving recommendations/ observations.
• Note: Within 60 days clean up exercise should take place after recommendations.
• Causes of oil spill
• * Pipe rupture/corrosion
• * Valve failure
• * Natural cause
• * Failed clamp
• * Server spill overflow
• * Harvesting of pipe
• * Well head tempering
TYPES OF OIL SPILL CLEAN-UP
• There are different methodologies that can be
adopted for the purpose of cleaning up oil spills.
• Using of boom to clean the water body
• Some of the few important and commonly used
methods can be explained as follows:
• 1. Using Oil Booms
• The use of oil booms is a very simple and popular
method of controlling oil spills. Equipment called
containment booms acts like a fence to prevent the
oil from further spreading or floating away.