• 3rd Year BSc Web design and development
• Independent Project – ‘Designing the next generation of wearable
• Work for Microsoft as a Windows Go-To Ambassador
• General interest in all technology and new media.
What is it?
• Wearable Computing - miniature electronic devices that are worn by
the bearer under, with or on top of clothing
• Others related:
• Wearable technology – clothing and accessories incorporating
computer and advanced electronic technologies
• Internet of things – uniquely identifiable objects and their virtual
representations in an internet-like structure
• Ubiquitous computing – an advanced computing concept where
computing is made to appear everywhere and anywhere.
• Technology for Technologies sake
• Just not cool
• Devices are either dependent on phones, or dependent on the
operating system they use.
• The wearable products are designed by product designers and not by
So WHY do we need wearable computing
• A study in the 1960’s took place on the efficiency of locomotion
• Testing all if not most of the planets animals including humans
• Recording the results in kilocalories per second
• Where do you think humans came in the list of results?
• Explanation at the end
The History of Wearable Computing
• Clock to the Watch
• the Personal Computer
• Telephone to the Mobile Phone to the Smartphone
What has changed in its favour
• Internet availability
• Decrease in size and increase of capacity of electronic parts
• Culture (Crowdfunding, Apps and tech comfort)
Current available devices
• Pebble watch – Record breaking crowdfunded smartwatch
• Google Glass – Revolutionary glasses from google
• Playtabase reemo – BTLE wrist band to control the internet of things
Health, sport and fitness
• Nike fuel band – Nike smart sports band
• Samsung gear fit – Samsungs smartwatch geared to the HSF Market
• Reebok Checklight – Headgear to gather head trauma in impact
Gaming, Music and Entertainment
• Oculus Rift – 360 3D visual gaming glasses. Recently purchased by
• Beats by Dre – 360 BTLE headphones
• Edifeye vrAse 360 3D smartphone enhancing headset
Future of wearable technology
• Intel Edison and make it wearable.
• Google Glass, Android SDK and Wearable OS.
• Connectivity – we don’t need computers on our wrist but a device
which enhances our current devices
• Cross platform usage – google glasses will be better if it works with
our PC, Phone and TV
• Cool factor – wearable computing needs fashionable design if it is to
• Back to why!