Change the World! Expand Our Reach!
Human-Centered Design for Development
Dray & Associates, Inc.
• A brief history of HCD4D
• Project example
• How to find out more (and get involved!)
A Brief History
• Keynote at CHI-South Africa (September, 2001)
• Workshop at CHI 2007 (April, 2007; San Jose, US): UCD4D (1 day)
– 50+ participants from 14 countries
– NSF grant to cover “developing country” attendees (Africa, S. Asia, Asia)
• SIG and Panel at INTERACT 2007 (September, 2007; Rio, Brazil)
• Workshop at DIS 2008 (February, 2008; Cape Town, South Africa) (2 – 3 days –
optional “immersion” day preceding workshop)
• Workshop at CHI 2008 (April, 2008; Florence, Italy): HCI for Community and
International Development (2 days)
• Key HCD4D leader (Gary Marsden) gets Social Impact Award at CHI
• Workshop at UXPA (June, 2012)
• HCD4D Community in SIGCHI – ran SIG at CHI 2013, provided reviewers for CHI papers
– 10% of the program were HCD4D papers!
• Navi at UXPA 2013
• Online articles
– E.g., Information Technologies and International
Development (ITID) online journal
• Conferences (or parts thereof)
– E.g., ICTD, papers at CHI and INTERACT
– E.g., HCI4D Community (SIGCHI)
– AND YOU!
For more links to resources, check out:
Just Remember To…
Keep your heart on your feet (rather than on your
sleeve) so they take you in the right direction!