• Third annual Logicalis Global CIO Survey
• Over 400 CIOs from Europe, North America, Latin
America and Asia Pacific
Shadow IT is now a fact of life for CIOs…
• In 2014, 72% of CIOs controlled more than 50% of IT
decisions; in 2015, that has fallen by 6%.
• This was expected - 62% of CIOs predicted this last
• Nearly 1 in 3 CIOs are bypassed ‘often’, ‘very often’ or
‘most of the time.’
• 90% of CIOs reported that they are bypassed by line of
business colleagues at least occasionally.
…and the internal service provider is taking shape
• Two years ago (2013), 73% expressed a desire to be more
• Two years on (2015), just 38% spend at least 50% of their
time on strategic activities.
• However, CIOs are spending 42% of their time on service-
based activities rather than legacy IT and support.
• They report a 50/50 balance between tech and services
• At least 30% of services are provided externally.
Social, Mobile, Analytics and Cloud
• CIOs rated the role of (SMAC) in driving business innovation.
• Mobile (62%) and Analytics (63%) were clear winners.
• Social lags well behind (37%).
• Cloud sits at 47%.
• Analytics are most important in the US and LATAM.
• Mobile is strongest in Europe and LATAM.
• APAC and LATAM value Social more than others.
• Cloud is a significant priority for 67% of CIOs in LATAM.
• CIOs say organizations are not making the most of BI.
• Nearly half (48%) get ‘real time information’ and ‘well-
defined business metrics’ from BI.
• Only 29% say they derive actionable insights.
• Fewer than one third
– make insight available to decision makers anywhere (28%).
– adapt quickly to changing BI needs (28%).
– deliver predictive analytics (30%).
– realize increased sales through BI insights (27%).
BI – the barriers…
• Lack of budget (47%)
• Lack of time (40%)
• Complexity (37%)
• Lack of expertise (35%)
• Lack of clarity around business requirements (34%)
• However, 84% of CIOs indicate C-level support for BI.
Software-Defined Technologies (SDx)
• The number of organizations that have already adopted
SDx has doubled in one year – from 9% in 2014 to 18%
• 82% of those who plan to adopt SDx have either already
adopted or will do so within three years.
• Less than one fifth of all respondents (18%) have longer-
term adoption plans.
Is IT delivering business value?
How do you rate the value of IT in delivering business
8/10(66% rated at 8 or more)
To download the full survey report, go to: