CLIMBING LADDERS OR SCAFFOLDING
• Ensure that scaffolding is always erected on
a stable surface, away from power lines and
without using portable objects as supports.
• Never leave tools or other materials on
scaffolding at the end of the day.
• Don’t use scaffolding during inclement
weather, including rain and snow storms.
• Never use scaffolding that appears to be
weakened or damaged in any way.
• Always have a qualified supervisor to oversee
the erection or dismantling of scaffolding.
WEARING THE RIGHT
• Always wear appropriate safety clothing
and equipment for the task.
• Wear a hard hat and steel-toed boots
whenever working where there’s a risk of
• Wear safety goggles whenever using tools
that create the risk of eye injury.
• Always wear safety harnesses when
working in an elevated position.
• Always know where the nearest fire
extinguishers and first-aid kits are relative
to your position.
PROPER USE OF TOOLS
• Use tools only for their intended purpose.
• Don’t use tools that appear to be damaged
• Never pull or yank on a tool’s power cord
or air hose.
• Take periodic breaks while using tools to
avoid repetitive-stress injuries.
• Always follow the appropriate safety
procedures for the tool you’re using.
OPERATING HEAVY EQUIPMENT
• Always make sure there’s enough
space around you when operating
• Be careful when climbing into or out of
• Never leave keys in the ignition while the
equipment will be unattended.
• Use a spotter to watch your blind spots
• Always announce what you’re going to
do to anyone in the vicinity before you
Safety is everyone’s responsibility at a construction site. Follow
these tips so your jobsite is as safe and productive as possible.