Introductory Guide to Getting Started on LinkedIn for Financial Professionals
An Introductory Guide to Getting
Started on LinkedIn
• LinkedIn is the world’s largest professional network,helping people find and share opportunities
everyday. With more than 225 million users, it offers you a thriving community of like minded
business professionals and entrepreneurs and connects you with current and prospective clients.
• Financial professionals who use social media to build out their networks and prospect base are three
times more successful than their non-social-media-savvy peers when it comes to gaining new clients.
• So where do you start? Recent studies have shown,80% of consumers conduct preliminary online
research when shopping for life insurance and investment products.If they were to search for you
online,what would they find? Creating a strong personal brand and establishing yourself as a
valuable resource should be your first step,but certainly not the last. Here are four essential steps to
get you on the way to social selling success.
• Before you begin,please review your Compliance Guidelines and make sure you adhere to the
guidance provided by your Broker Dealer,State and/or FINRA,which may dictate how you can utilize
What is ?
• Setting up a basic account,or a Personal Profile Page,is free and registration
takes less than two minutes. You can upgrade your account by several tiers for
a fee,but the basic page should meet your individual requirements.
• Get Started here:https://www.linkedin.com/home?trk=hb_home
Creating an Account
• Creating an account only requires your name and email address. You should use
your business email,as this is how connections (potential and current clients) will
Building your Network
• Customizing your account will allow you to import current contacts from your email,
Google accounts,Facebook andTwitter.
• Connect. Find. Be found.
• Invite other LinkedIn members,colleagues,classmates, friends,family,and business partners
without their email address. Upon acceptance of your invitation they will have access to your
• Connecting infers that you personally know the person or have a mutual contact. It is much
more effective if you create a personal note instead of using the default message when
sending your invitation to connect.
• Editing your Profile includes adding your photo,experience,education, interests
and other related content you may want to publish.
Add your company website,
hours,and contact info.
Customize your website and
page link name as well.
Add a cover photo
of yourself or your
Your business summary tells
people who you are.
Keywords will help your
page show up in search
highlight your skills
and abilities can set
you apart from your
• Help grow your network on LinkedIn by posting relevant information and staying active
through the provided tools. Keep in mind that when you share something that members
of your network comment on,you’re gaining exposure to their network as well.
Continue to build your
Take note of the
important life and career
changes for your
Customers who care
about your business.
• It is important to engage your audience in conversation,keep them interested,and keep your
business on the top of their minds by posting relevant articles,updates,and links to your
page. Remember to let your personality and humanity show through.
• Updates happen automatically from your LinkedIn which allows your connections to see
what you share.
Content can vary and is
commonly posted around
2-3 times a week to keep it
You can pose questions,
offer tips and link to
relevant and timely
• Building your network provides you with an ever-growing audience and new
connections. Leverage these by continually connecting with new companies and
people and joining and participating in industry-specific groups.
• Eventually,you can upgrade your account for access to more business tools and
services or create a Company Page for you and your employees.
Upgrade your account for additional
business tools and services.
Search for colleagues,classmates,friends,
family,and business partners
Edit andView Profile
Review and add groups,
Find and follow companies
View,add and sort connections
Helpful Links and Resources
• Create your free Personal Page here:http://www.linkedin.com/home?trk=hb_home
• Learn more about Company Pages here:
• LinkedIn FAQ:http://help.linkedin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1561
• Download the mobile application by searching for LinkedIn on your smartphone App Store or
• Help your friends,customers and business partners find and connect with you on LinkedIn by
adding the LinkedIn icon to marketing materials like your email signature,business cards,
websites and brochures.
• Interested in learning more about how Universal Insurance Services can help you grow your
business? Download our brochure here.