Jolene Cartmill: "How to make a Crowd-funding Video"
How to make a crowd-funding
That is not kak.
Have a plan.
1. Know thy audience
2. Figure out exactly what you are saying
and asking for
3. Do it “on paper” first
4. Research your chosen technology
5. Make a simple and effective video
Know thy audience
1. Imagine you have to watch the video
2. Be realistic about the attention span of
someone who doesn’t know or care about
you (max 2 mins, get attention in first 10-15
3. Research, observe, get to know people who
actually do have money to spend - they
probably worked hard for it, so why should
they give it to you? (are you enthusiastic,
4. Basically don’t waste their time.
What are you saying and what do
1. What’s the pitch?
2. What’s the need?
3. What’s the reward?
What’s the story? (the paper edit)
1. Utopia (Solution)
2. Faces a dire challenge (Problem)
3. in comes the first protaganist (You as the
4. Who is doomed to fail unless… (what you
5. The hero (person watching) comes to the
rescue (how they can help you)
1. The internet has tutorials on everything.
Take the time to not waste your time.
2. Chose software that is as simple as you
need it to be.
3. Editing options include: powerpoint video
(not my favorite), imovie, adobe premiere,
apple final cut, or a thousand other apps and
templates available for free or online
4. Camera – use the best you have available
5. Good sound is critical! Use a mic!
making the video
1. Take how much time you think it’s going to take
to make a good video and times it by 10.
2. Edit out any superfluous moments
3. Use relevant cutaways to back up what is said.
Also to hide cuts.
4. Film in landscape not portrait
5. Make sure the audio is clear and audible
6. People connect to people – speak to the
audience directly, first prize on screen, second
prize voice over.
7. do it again until you get it right.