About UCI Applied Innovation:
UCI Applied Innovation is a dynamic, innovative central platform for the UCI campus, entrepreneurs, inventors, the business community and investors to collaborate and move UCI research from lab to market.
About the Cove @ UCI:
To accelerate collaboration by better connecting innovation partners in Orange County, UCI Applied Innovation created the Cove, a physical, state-of-the-art hub for entrepreneurs to gather and navigate the resources available both on and off campus. The Cove is headquarters for UCI Applied Innovation, as well as houses several ecosystem partners including incubators, accelerators, angel investors, venture capitalists, mentors and legal experts.
Follow us on social media:
For more information:
Lunch and Learn
1) Opportunity to bring people to the Cove
and highlight the great ecosystem we have
2) Networking and facilitated collisions of
3) Content learning on topics related to
innovation and entrepreneurship that will
help them on their entrepreneurial journeys.
(Caveat- Talking about scale is like boiling the
Your Obligation Today
If you have a question or a specific value
proposition you think you can scale (or
trying to scale)- speak up
If you are an EIR or industry expert- share
some of your own successes and learning
ENP Institute (Forums)
What is this organization about?
Who are we?
What can you expect from today?
10 Years, 300 + Forums and
Over 27,800 Attendees
•Strategy Development &
move you beyond
the “status quo”.
Not “how are
others doing it
best” but rather,
“where do we go
from here that
represents a true,
shift in value”…
ENP & Octane
Digital transformation has
changed the entire approach,
velocity and return on scale.
If you don’t base your
business platform and
infrastructure on relevant,
integrated and agile
technology applications, your
ability to scale will revert to
analog speed (or slower).
A Few Key Elements of Scale
1 – Are we operating the business at scale? Operating the business at scale means
allocating resources to drive the greatest results and volume. Operating the business at
scale is about optimization, not duplication, of efforts.
2 – Are we taking advantage of the scale of the business? Scale is another word for size.
Companies can leverage their size by negotiating exclusive dealings, favorable terms and
volume discounts with other organizations.
3 – Can the solution scale-up or -down based on demand? Most industries have periods
with increased demand (retailers during the holiday season). Cloud companies like AWS let
users increase or decrease capacity as needed.
4 – Does the business scale? Scalable businesses grow revenue with minimal to no new
operating costs (software). If operating costs increase at the same rate as revenue growth,
the business does not scale (professional services).
5 – How fast can we scale the business? Successful companies create a repeatable sales
process. Once the process has been developed, companies can accelerate revenue by
expanding (scaling) to additional geographies.
Where do you
Start up…Scale up or
Stall out (fail to scale)
Disrupting Scale for
Pivots via the
Where scale originates
per Jeff Bezos
"The balance of power is shifting toward
consumers and away from companies… The
right way to respond to this if you are a
company is to put the vast majority of your
energy, attention and dollars into building a
great product or service and put a smaller
amount into shouting about it, marketing it.“
"Your margin is my opportunity."
of a Market-
Highest disruptive creation:
Offering a breakthrough solution to an existing
Redefining and solving an existing industry problem
Identifying and solving a brand-new problem or
seizing a brand new opportunity (i.e. if does not
disrupt existing industry- ringtones)
Path one- Look across alternative
Path Two- Look across strategic
groups in your industry
Path Three- Look across the chain of
buyers and redefine the industry
Path Four- Look across
complimentary product and service
Path Five – Rethink the functional-
emotional orientation of your
Path Six – Participate in shaping
external trends over time
“Look at what
hasn’t been scaled yet
and go for it”
Scale is accelerated by low friction and high adoption- via
Cost – Revenue
Does the business scale?
Scalable businesses grow
revenue with minimal to no
new operating costs
(software). If operating costs
increase at the same rate as
revenue growth, the business
does not scale (professional
OKR- Objectives and
“Ideas are easy, execution is everything… “
Sales per employee
Customer growth milestones
Viable innovations to your VP
Leadership team aligned – on the
Stakeholders are aligned
Roles and accountability
Core values and Purpose are “alive”
Plans and performance are visible to
“Leap Growth” Scaling
$1 million to $2million
Validation of your VP
$5 million to $20million
$25 million to $100 million
$100 million to $500 million
Leap Growth Mindset
• Quit Trying Harder – Trying harder only produces incremental gains. A quantum shift is an elegant solution requiring far less effort.
• Ignore Conventional Wisdom and Approaches– A quantum leap requires an abrupt change in your behavior. It requires finesse over effort, simplicity
over complexity, a new paradigm and a fresh perspective.
• Think Beyond What Common Sense Would Allow – Quantum leaps
require “uncommon sense.” Rethink your thinking. Be
unreasonable. Violate the boundaries of the probable.
• Suspend YOUR Disbelief – Act as if your success is certain and proceed boldly.
• Focus On Ends Rather Than Means – It is critical you have a clear vision of what you want to accomplish. Solutions and tactics will appear. Draw the
map as you go.
• Rely On The Unseen Forces – When you focus on your clear vision of what you want to accomplish, and move confidently toward it, unexpected and
unknown resources materialize to conspire for your success.
• Choose Your Own Set Of Rules – You can never avoid risk, but you can choose which risks you will take. Risk believing in yourself.
• Trust In The Power Of The Pursuit – Dreams and big ideas begin to transform into reality when they are pursued, because the world behaves
differently when you go after what you want. Disciplined action everyday.
• Seek Failure and Learn – Unless you are willing to fail, you will never have the opportunity to test the limits of what you’re capable of accomplishing.
• Beware of Comfort – Quantum leaps jerk you out of your comfort zone and places you out on the frontier of new experiences. If you aren’t
experiencing discomfort, the risk you are taking probably isn’t worthy of you.
The well timed pivot-
model and/or markets
What processes or services can you
eliminate that your industry has long
competed on? (Stop doing)
Which services should be raised well
above the industry’s standard?
Which processes or services could be
reduced well below the industry’s
(Save $ and resources)
What services/customer satisfaction
methods should be created that the
industry has never offered?