Dr. Maureen McGuinnessDean of Students, Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs
The Dean of Students Office (DOS) is available to help students resolve University-related issues. The DOS serves to help students navigateacademic, personal, financial, or social concerns, as well as medical withdrawals and temporary disabilities.
• CARE Team• Seeking Options & Solutions (SOS)• Medical Withdrawal• Absence Verification• Temporary Illness/ Temporary Disabilities• Authorized Class Absence/Field Trips• Student Complaints and other assistance
• Center for Leadership and Service (CLS)• Center for Student Rights and Responsibilities (CSRR)• Greek Life• Student Legal Services (SLS) Substance Abuse Resource Center (SARC)
• What counts? Broken bones, surgeries, the flu, etc.• No legal requirement for UNT to accommodate temporary illness• However, faculty are encouraged to make adjustments with an excused absence from the DOS Office.
• Students needing to leave the university due to medical conditions may contact the DOS Office for assistance if unable to withdraw themselves.• Written request and verifiable documentation related to condition are required.
• The DOS Office can assist with documenting student absence in the event of an emergency situation, health reasons, death of a loved one, etc.• Must provide official and verifiable documentation related to reason of absence• Once the absence is verified, the decision to allow the student to make up course work is left to the discretion of the professor and/or the academic department
• DOS Office can act as an advocate for students dealing with temporary disabilities• Temporary Disabilities are not afforded the same consideration and accommodation under federal law as permanent disabilities.
• Provides students with a procedure for resolving complaints against UNT faculty, staff, department and agents of the university• Examples that are not complaints under policy: discrimination, grade appeals, academic integrity, disability, financial aid, CARE Team, personnel or the Student Code of Conduct• DOS Office will assist the student throughout the process
• Athletics, music groups, AFROTC activity, dramatics, exhibitions, debate, studen t government, conventions, and field trips must be authorized by the dean of the school or college of the sponsoring department.• List will be sent to the DOS Office, and students can obtain an authorized absence card to present to professors.
• The Dean’s staff will notify all appropriate people and departments in the event of a death of a student.• Staff member will make direct contact with the family and serve as the University liaison to assist the family as needed.• Outreach to deceased student’s friends• In the event of a currently enrolled student’s death, the UNT Flag on the south Library lawn will be lowered to half-staff for seven days in honor of that student.
• Help students resolve University related issues that are interfering with their enrollment/ retention• Office assists students and their families in navigating diverse concerns, as well as identifying resources for personal, academic, financial and social issues.• Partners with Enrollment Management to connect with students who have withdrawn from UNT and wish to return to pursue their academic degree.
• Mission: Assist in protecting the health, safety, and welfare of the students and members of the UNT community. Support student success Provide a comprehensive response to students whose behavior is disruptive to themselves or the educational environment
Dean of Students Office TEL: 940-565-2648 FAX: 940-369-8440 http://deanofstudents.unt.eduPlease check us out on Facebook at the UNT Dean of Students page!