Dr. Fei Hu
Smart Spectrum Handoff for Multimedia over CRN
• Spectrum handoff is the biggest headache to wireless
– Multimedia applications are challenging due to multiple primary
user interruptions and secondary users contentions.
• Many networks cannot find a suitable spectrum handoff
scheme for multimedia applications in complex radio
• Difficulty in finding an accurate queueing model to estimate
the possible time of handoff delay.
• Smart-Learning-Based, Quality of Service (QoS) and Quality of Experience (QoE)
driven, and spectrum handoff scheme for high quality transmission over Cognitive
Radio Networks (CRN), which can smartly reuse any spectrum holes anytime,
• An available channel with the best expected QoE is chosen for the spectrum handoff
managing the usage behaviors in CRNs with prioritized multimedia applications.
• Minimum handoff delay is ensured through mixed preemptive and
non-preemptive resume priority queueing model.
• Maximizes the multimedia end-user satisfactions with the QoS +
QoE driven handoff scheme.
• Allows the performance of spectrum handoff to optimize in the
long term by utilizing the current observed CRN environment state,
past experiences, and performance feedback.
• More reliable for video transmissions and other uses of multimedia
• Prioritized traffic model for handoff delay estimations.
• Dr. Fei Hu
– Associate Professor
– More than 200 publications
– 2 patent applications
– Center for Advanced Vehicle
– Electrical and Computer Engineering
Office for Technology Transfer
720 2nd Ct E
Tuscaloosa, AL 35401