JOB TITLE: Field Service Engineer
DEPARTMENT: Field Services
REPORTS TO: Operations Manager
Teksolv Inc. is a dynamic industrial safety company committed to providing high quality
customer services and products. We fulfill every aspect of support service in industry and
manufacturing including environmental, rescue, safety, consulting, training, engineering, systems
integration, equipment rental, and sales. Our employees epitomize Teksolv’s core values of
Integrity, Excellence, Community Service, Empowerment, Innovation, Trust, and Fun everyday
through their allegiance to each other, the company, and those we serve.
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION
The Field Service Engineer is a member of the local leadership team and provides technical
support for company and customer systems. This position includes, but is not limited to, the
following duties: jobsite control systems evaluation, preventative maintenance; identification of
issues with customer and company control systems; spreadsheet maintenance; staff development
and training of systems and processes. This is a full-time salary position that is based out of
TekSolv’s Carrolton, OH office.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Provide support and guidance to field employees as a technical advisor and extension of the local
• Provide support for the standard rigup/rigdown of TekNet and Hydrowatch systems and commission
procedures for customer systems.
• Provides jobsite evaluation of control system needs during preliminary site visits.
• Identify any issues within a customer’s specifications impacting design, interface, and integration,
and provide technical assistance and resolution for any system conflicts.
• Remain on standby to provide technical support to Ohio personnel. Participate in the leadership on-
call rotation to support client needs and provide operational support.
• Design and manage structured asset management and technical spreadsheets to support system
completions. Spreadsheets include TekNet and Hydrowatch equipment, skid modifications, location
and condition of PCT tools, and the location of satellite and modem hardware.
• Complete skid modifications.
• Provide support company-wide in regard to commissioning and deploying the HughesNet systems.
• Work with technology team on a daily basis for customer requests that require timely solutions.
• Assist with Call Center issues.
• Assist with daily scheduling operations for TekNet and Hydrowatch.
• Convey site specific installation information to the Engineering and IT departments needed for design
• Perform preventative maintenance on company systems to ensure maximum efficiency and
• Modify, update, and release for manufacturing: electrical/electronic schematics, logic diagrams,
interface identification drawings, wiring drawings, electronic cabinet layout drawings, I/O lists,
drawing lists, bills of material, P&IDs using AutoCAD, and other software tools.
• Investigate and communicate practices for configuring equipment to the Engineering and IT
departments in order to facilitate a collective understanding of the environments that are being
worked in, as well as circumstantial and situational changes that may affect the way programs are
coded and the way in which systems are designed etc.
• Develop training on processes and procedures for PCTs and provide training.
• Develop processes and procedures for new technology and communicate them to the PCTs.
• Provide documentation and communicate all procedures that are developed for field use to the
• Participate in research and development of new technology before it is deployed. Verify and validate
designs, assist in installs with new technology.
• Assist with troubleshooting for all local and remote systems.
• Maintain knowledge of all PCT duties and tasks.
• Assist in other departments as needed.
• High school diploma or equivalent
• Experience in Industrial Control Systems with a focus on the following: Siemens S7 & TIA
Portal, Wonderware, and Kepware.
• Understanding of: Ladder Logic, analog signals, 0-10VDC, 4-20mA, Ethernet IP
communications, and simple networking.
• Experience reading and modifying electrical schematics.
• Asset and project management.
• Executing quality programs.
• Problem sensitivity- The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong.
• Deductive reasoning- The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce sensible
• Inductive reasoning - The ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or
conclusions (includes finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events).
• Category flexibility- The ability to generate or use different sets of rules for combining or
grouping things in different ways.
• Writing- The ability to write technical reports.
• Complex problem solving- Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to
develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
• Systems analysis- Determining how a system should work and how changes in conditions,
operations, and the environment will effect outcomes.
• Judgment and decision making- Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions
to choose the most appropriate one.
• Systems evaluation- Identifying measures or indicators of system performance and the actions
needed to improve or correct performance, relative to the goals of the system.
• Knowledge of Wonderware System Platform, PLC, Microsoft Technologies (ASP.NET, NET
(Visual Basic and C#) database (SQL, Oracle).
• Knowledge of computer hardware and software including applications and programming.
• Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes
applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of
various goods and services.
• Knowledge of C++ computer programing and microprocessors.
• Knowledge of all PCT job duties and tasks.
Approved by: Signature of the person with the authority to approve the job
Date approved: Date upon which the job description was approved
Reviewed: Date when the job description was last reviewed