Technology and Class
A focus on Class and how it is changing in society.
By Toste Staver
Before we start:
– Western Society
– Mostly United States
– Post-Industry / Information Age
– Class in a group, not poor/rich
– Bigger Focus on Richard Florida
The New Classes
The Creative Class (Florida)
The Hacker Class (Wark)
The Virtual Class (Kroker)
A new growth class
- knowledge (financial services...)
- special skills (health care...)
- creativity (artists, architects...)
- a resources more important than
- both companies as well as cities are
trying to attract this new resource.
A new trend
”People weren't moving to the jobs, the jobs
were moving to the people.” –Florida
New kinds of resources:
– Not Capitalist or Worker, but a Creating Class
– Intellectual property
– Less producing goods, more Innovation focus
Employer more dependent on the
Questions for ze group
• What about emotional jobs such as child care,
is that creative work?
• Is this just a temporary need for innovation
and if so what would come after it?
• Where would this new information based
virtual class fit in a hierarchy?
• Do the new class really get more power over
their work and if so in what way?