• Soluto 62 hours outage
• Adobe accounts hacked data exposed for 3M customers
• Knight 450M$ loss because of a bad rollout
• Plenty of more …
THROW IT ON SOMEONE ELSE
• “This is your fault”
• “You shouldn’t have done this”
TAKE THE BLAME
• “This is totally my fault”
• “I take full responsibility”
• “I promise it won’t happen again”
SO WHAT’S 5 WHYS ANYWAY?
When a problem occurs ask 5 times why?
Simple as that.
• A business partner is unhappy.
Because we didn't deliver on time
The job took much longer than we thought
We underestimated the complexity
We didn't list the individual stages needed
Because we were running behind on other stuff and did not give
enough attention to time estimates
Sakichi Toyoda 1867-1930
Japanese industrial revolution
Toyota production system 1948-1975
Lean manufacturing, Kaizen and more