Senior Quantitative Professional with 20+ years of experience in Direct Marketing, Analytics
and Website Optimization. Expert in statistical modeling, data mining, database creation and
project management. Recognized leader adept in the selection, empowerment and retention of a
highly effective analytical team. Consistent advocate for productive change and informed
[x+1] (www.xplusone.com), New York, NY 2007-Present
Vice President, Optimization and Analytics
• Develop statistical models (Decision Trees, Regression) to increase lifts for on-line
advertisements and website conversion rates.
• Responsible for delivering strategic, day-to-day product and analytical support for clients’
engagements. Develop strong relationships with clients to understand their business needs.
Ensure the development and implementation of analytical and technical solutions.
• Build and maintain a team of 5 statisticians, SAS programmers and operations researchers to
conduct research initiatives in data modeling and business intelligence efforts.
• Leverage extensive experience in predictive modeling to further refine the strategic direction
of [x+1]’s marketing analytics and optimization efforts. Work closely with the Product team
in the formalization of [x+1]’s analytical product.
• Perform exploratory data analysis to interpret our customer data and enhance our targeting.
ACNielsen, Syosset, NY
Director of Statistical Methodology, Homescan
• Provide technical/academic expertise critical to the development of advanced statistical
methods and applications in support of consumer panel research.
• Research alternative projection methods and provide original ideas for the design and
execution of specific advanced analytical research issues.
• Develop statistical data models to support VNU business initiatives.
• Team build and development of 6 statisticians in the analysis of consumer longitudinal
purchase panel data. Clarify Homescan statistical procedures to internal and external clients.
• Provided analytical and operational support of existing and developing Homescan services
for AC Nielsen clients.
• Supported Project Apollo, a new marketing information service being developed with
Arbitron to collect and connect multi-media message exposure to actual purchase behavior.
Publishers Clearing House, Port Washington, NY 1985 –
Sr. Director of Statistical Development, Marketing (1999 – 2005)
• Hired, mentored and empowered a team of 14 Statisticians and SAS Programmers (including
1 Director and 2 Sr Managers).
• Closely collaborated with Senior Marketing Executives; advised and recommended actions to
maximize returns on promotions and product launches.
• Developed multivariate predictive response models to effectively select names for direct
marketing mailing promotions (200+ mailings per year) in the U.S., Canada and the U.K.
• Created credit models (bad debt, high cancellations, order screening, fraud detection, high
balance, Internet pre-screening), implemented external credit scores and performed ad-hoc
credit analyses for Finance and Credit & Collections.
Sr. Director of Statistical Development, Marketing (cont’d.)
• Key project team member instrumental in a major redesign of the Marketing Database.
Achieved hugely successful results in improved analytics and system flexibility.
• Motivated and retained a highly technical professional staff. Created an atmosphere of
project ownership and bottom-up responsibility to expand responsibilities and build a strong
• Reviewed project plans, including scope definition, timelines, and deliverables to manage the
activities and development of the analytical team.
• Organized regular meetings with non-technical Senior Management to clearly articulate
project goals, objectives and statuses.
• Combined data sources to effectively integrate online/offline sales channels and increase
company revenues and new customer acquisition.
Director of Statistical Development (1994 – 1999)
• Conceived and implemented full-scale automated SAS coded selections (replacing hard-
coded COBOL code) leading to the rapid implementation of new statistical models and the
accurate coding of selections.
• Formed and trained a group of COBOL programmers into becoming highly efficient in SAS.
• Expanded statistical selection methodologies to new affinity merchandise line of promotions
(video, audio, book, jewelry, coin, sports and general collectible products).
• Performed numerous ad hoc analyses (lifetime value, customer churn, reactivation, and
affinity relationships for cross selling of products) to strategically plan business expansion.
Senior Manager of Statistical Development (1991 – 1993)
• Formulated a new calculation used in model development to ascertain the customer's
profitability based on distinct product purchase and paying habits. The new formula allowed
for higher predictability of the statistical models.
• Experimented with alternative modeling techniques (Trees, Chaid, Neural Nets and Fractal
Geometry) to build better predictive segmentation models.
Manager of Statistical Development (1987 – 1991)
• Transformed mailing selections through the implementation of new regression-based scoring
technologies to replace the RFM (recency, frequency and monetary value) selection process.
• Developed profit and pay regression models and created segmentation and targeting schemes
(reprojections) for marketing programs to improve planning and profitability.
• Designed a system of SAS programs for model development, reprojections and validations to
implement new selection stratagem.
Marketing Statistician, Statistical Development (1985 – 1987)
CBS BROADCASTING, INC., New York, NY -- Senior Research Analyst 1984 –
Marketing Modelers Group, Rodale Database Marketing Symposium Group
M.S., Statistics, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ
B.S., Mathematics, Polytechnic University, Brooklyn, NY
Base SAS, SAS/STAT, SAS/Enterprise Miner, SAS Macros, SQL, MS Excel, Access, Word