Evaluation of My Final Music Video
In my music video i tried to create the effect of a prison break. I did this by filming in places
that had minimum detail and were very plain in colour. This created the effect of a prison
cell. This then made the video more authentic and realistic towards the audience.
We also filmed at strangeways prison to get the main shots so that the video had that prison
theme. We filmed at the older part of the prison so that the video seemed set in a older
time, we wanted this effect as the video was an indie themed video. So everything was set a
little bit older.
The song that we chose was an indie song to. This meant that we had to dress in indie
clothing to make the video authentic. I love Also some of the shot that we did were
extremely common in indie music videos. Such as the shots of the drum kit and guitars. The
place that we filmed these shots was at the college drum room. We picked this room as it
was plain and dull; this gave the impression of a prison cell and also it made video look
realistic and proper.
The editing proses of the video were extremely time consuming. I spent 3 weeks placing my
clips in order so that the story made sense. This was done using adobe premiere. I then
added a light black and white effect making the shot look more in depth and to my liking. I
did this to my entire video.
After I finished adding this effect I exported my video. This took a number of attempts as I
had placed a few clips in the wrong place and didn’t add the black and white effect to all my
clips. I then put the whole video into after effects, the reason I did this was because the
effect that I added wasn’t strong enough. I added the effect by adding a colour correction. I
added the effect by using new adjustment layers over the top of my piece. I had to do this
for each clip. In total I had 10 adjustment layers. The reason I had to use more than one was
because some of the clips had different lightings to the other.
I then had to render out the clip. This took around about 45-50 minutes.
The shots that we had were extremely good and represented the song well. In the editing
proses I edited the clips at the start of the video to go along with the bass guitar. This made
the video footage flow better with actual song.
The overall video fled slightly away from the original idea. As the original idea we were
supposed to set the prison on fire. However we did set the prison on fire but we didn’t get
the shots that we intended to get. For example we were supposed to get Callum singing
whilst the fire was burning behind him. This came to be impossible or extremely hard as we
could not get the real fire as the place where we filmed wouldn’t let us start a small fire.
(which is understandable) i recon that if I could do it again or have more time I would get
more shots so my video didn’t have as many long shots in it. Also I would go somewhere
that would let us start a small fire so that we could get the appropriate shots.
Overall I feel that my music video music good and fluent. I thought that it told the story very
well. However I would re-shoot my music video as I need more shots and I would make the
shots at strange ways prison. What I mean by this is that when we shot at strangeways we
shot in 1080p 24 frames, when the rest of the music video was in 1080p 25 frames.