Music Video Analysis - Sexuality
Song Title: ____Wrecking Ball__________________________________
Artist: ____________Miley Cyrus__________________________
Directions: As you closely watch the music video, answer the following questions with
as much detail as possible.
1. Describe any sexually explicit body language:
In many parts of the video Miley Cyrus is sat on a wrecking ball and is swinging on it.
She does this in a provocative way. This brings a massive sense of sexuality towards
women but in the wrong way.
2. Who is more sexualized – men or women? Both?
In this video women are sexualized more because of the way Miley Cyrus is dressed and
the way she walks and talks. Her body language is very sexual and she is mostly naked or
wears very little clothing throughout the video.
3. Are there sexually explicit lyrics or messages?
No there is not any explicit lyrics in the music video, however there are lots of explicit
images throughout the video.
4. How are subjects of the music video dressed?
Miley Cyrus is dressed in a nude bikini that gives the impression that she is naked.
Bringing the sexual side to the video. However it also shoes her venerability throughout
5. Describe the relationships between the men and women: Are they long or short term?
Casual or serious?
The relationship is represented as a long term relationship which the man has left.
However the video ids strongly orientated by a male gender with the theme of a building
site and throughout the video miley is holding a sledge hammer and wearing working
6. What’s the message of the song?
The message of the song is that a male has left her life and it is about how she feels when
7. What type of music is the song?